Courses to take before MCAT: UC transfers

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lilyga14

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am planning on transferring to UC Davis this upcoming fall and since I have a TAG approved, I am planning courses to take once I transfer. So far I have taken General Chemistry w/ lab, Biology series w/ lab (3 quarters), Physics w/ lab, Psychology, Sociology.

I have started to study Organic Chemistry on my own and plan on taking it once I transfer, but what other classes do you guys feel must be taken before taking the MCAT (Biochemistry and Physiology?).

If anyone has graduated from UC Davis or currently attending, any specific classes I should consider, or any general advices?

I am sorry if my question is repetitive, my community college advisor is clueless about requirements for medical schools and it is a little overwhelming transferring to a new school as a junior.

Members don't see this ad.

Along with those you listed, I would suggest Cell Bio and Human Genetics. Those were very helpful to understanding how individual bits of biochemistry are applicable to whole organisms.

Along with those you listed, I would suggest Cell Bio and Human Genetics. Those were very helpful to understanding how individual bits of biochemistry are applicable to whole organisms.

Do you suggest cell biology and genetics as upper-division classes? My biology course covered those, but of course it wasn't in detail.

Do you suggest cell biology and genetics as upper-division classes? My biology course covered those, but of course it wasn't in detail.

If you have the time, yes.

Doing a full term of Human Genetics was FAR more valuable than the 1 week we spent on it in Gen Bio.

Biochem is as mandatory as Ochem now. I would rank the others thus:

1. Physiology
2. Human Genetics
3. Cell Bio

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user