Course Load Question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Student003

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just dropped physics 2A. I was completely lost during the first two weeks. I fell behind when I moved and during a work schedule.

Next quarter I plan on taking:

Physics 2A
Chem 1A
Calc 3
Anatomy or stats

Is this too heavy a schedule? I work 20hrs/ week.

Do people typically take physics last? But If I take physics with Ochem then should I just carry three classes that quarter?

Please let me know what you think. thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

I'd say, if you have impeccable time-management skills than it will be "dealable." Just make sure you work on your lab reports early. At least for me, that's the thing that messes me up the most. You really, really need to make sure your time management skills are up to par in order to do well in all of those classes.

You have to know what free hours/30 minutes you have to get in a little bit of studying. If you work on a report for a whole week in 40 minute chunks a day, you'll be surprised at how far you forge on. And also, when you sit down to study, you jus thave to DO IT, instead of procrastinating.

It doesn't really matter where you start or how lamely you start, it's just that once you start, you get your gears rolling, and then it's all smooth sailing from there ^_^.

I can't answer definitely because I don't know you, but I know that for me, that courseload would be too much.

Physics, Chem, and Calc will all be "problems" based, which means you'll be eating up any free time with doing exercises in the book. They all just take practice, over and over, until you get it right and thoroughly understand it. Stats is the same way and Anatomy is just intense with the memorization.

Even as a full-time student years ago who worked 20 hrs a week, I always strived to take 2 hard classes and 2 easy classes (music appreciation, for example). Any additional hard classes always affected my grades and I usually ended up dropping one of them midsemester right before the deadline (so I don't have any Ws on my transcript).

But as I said, I don't know you and maybe it's do-able for you.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think i bit more off than I can chew.

I think I will take the classes at a slower pace. I got a loan to pay for my 400 dollar rent for the time being.

Good suggestions:

I dont have impeccable time management skills and its often very hard to get studying after classes and working unless coffee is plentiful.

Next Quarter I will then take:

Chem 1A
Calc 3
and maybe stats.

I would rather get a great grade in these classes rather than mediocre grades.

Thanks!

I think your new plan will be easier for you! And you're right, good grades are most important, even if it means going at a slower pace. Time management is difficult, huh? I'd say that's my single weakness as well!