Course Level Input?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

anhanhc

Reaction score
Hello,
So I am currently doing a DIY Post Bacc to boost my science GPA. Does it matter if they have to be all upper level sciences? Im taking 12 credits and have a mix of upper 3000 but I saw one lower 1000 level called Biology of Aging. It seemed doable and will count toward my science GPA but I am curious if admissions committee will look down on me taking a lower level science course? Does it matter or do they mainly look at the grades at the end? Thank you in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Hello,
So I am currently doing a DIY Post Bacc to boost my science GPA. Does it matter if they have to be all upper level sciences? Im taking 12 credits and have a mix of upper 3000 but I saw one lower 1000 level called Biology of Aging. It seemed doable and will count toward my science GPA but I am curious if admissions committee will look down on me taking a lower level science course? Does it matter or do they mainly look at the grades at the end? Thank you in advance!
Currently going through the same thing. I spoke with my pre-med advisor, and he told me to solely focus on upper level courses (3000+), and courses that seem as relevant as possible to medicine. Like take immunology over an ecology class even thought they're both 3000+. He's not an adcome so I don't know how solid his advice is, but it does make sense.

I do love how pre-med advisors think they know anything about getting into med school. Your undergrad GPA is going to be the most important, but it goes a long way to show close to straight A's in a post bac if you have a lower GPA. If you are below 3.0......you're in a tight spot as it is. I think that taking a lower level class is not going to hurt you and it won't help you much except boost your GPA slightly. But in general, stick to the upper level classes because schools want to see that you can score high in hard classes because you'll be killed in med school if you can't score high in some 3, 4, or 5000 classes.