Countdown to AOA Match

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Becuase it's those same kids that are going into medicine only for $$$ and STATUS because mommy and daddy ingrained it into their skulls that if little Taj or Jasmine or whomever doesn't become a doctor like their cousin Harpreet... they will be a failure.

So...

After mommy and daddy dropped $150K for their child to go to a prestigious university (that they worked hard for in high school to get into I'm sure.. no knock there), their angel was out partying and drinking and left their campus with a 2.9 and a BS Bio degree they couldn't do much with.

So what's next?

Well... mommy and daddy got the $ and they end up at Caribbean because they can go get that MD yo!

At this point, I really don't care. I will continue to crap on the Caribbean schools every chance I get because they take so many people's money and leave them with barely anything.

Not EVERYBODY wants to do psych, FM, or some transitional year.

I say give it 5-10 more years and those good ol' DO schools will saturate the market and screw over the IMGs and HOPEFULLY allow us to keep more US students in the areas.

All I hope is that the super smart FMGs from other countries that contribute to research and advancements are allowed in but idk if our Hot Cheetoh president will allow that.

Time will tell.

End of my rant.

Well it's an interesting rant with some true bits and pieces but I can't say I agree with the overall message. You're ranting against the private educational system screwing people out of the their money for often worthless degrees (which I sympathize with), ranting against a perceived lack of meritocracy (which is somewhat true but doesn't just apply to medicine) and against foreign competition in medicine (which is dubiously self -serving yet I get it). But there's plenty of people (1 in 5) that don't have medical school loans but go to good US schools, arent money grubbing psychopaths, didn't party in undergrad and become great doctors.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Well it's an interesting rant with some true bits and pieces but I can't say I agree with the overall message. You're ranting against the private educational system screwing people out of the their money for often worthless degrees (which I sympathize with), ranting against a perceived lack of meritocracy (which is somewhat true but doesn't just apply to medicine) and against foreign competition in medicine (which is dubiously self -serving yet I get it). But there's plenty of people (1 in 5) that don't have medical school loans but go to good US schools, arent money grubbing psychopaths, didn't party in undergrad and become great doctors.

My issue isn't with anybody in the US schools in the first place sherlock.

My whole gripe was toward Caribbean US-IMGs....?

You just bought yourself a one-way ticket to "BLOCK-VILLE".

Nothing like some good old class warfare on SDN. Not sure it's relevant where their money comes from. It's too bad more people don't have 0 zero debt. Maybe college should be free or heavily subsidized like in other countries. But I don't see why it's their fault their parents were successful and able to gift them the tuition.

Yeah physicians' **** dont stink. Until the residency cap gets blown up and you're thrown to market forces like the rest of the professions.

Doesn’t have anything to do marginalizing differences in education or anything....

Nothing wrong with using physician and PA/NP. Put faith in their credentials. Provider is a term used to confused the lay person into thinking they are seeing a doctor. It is okay to be a midlevel practitioner. There are just providers and physicians.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
So, after 2 weeks of debating, consultation with wise counsel, and self-analysis of what went wrong, I decided on Monday to take a TRI spot connected to my "home" EM program. With only 2 ranks in the ACGME and no USMLE score, my chances were only 46% to match. The home program was not holding spots until the AGCME match was over and they had filled most of them already. I didn't feel like i was going to match and the SOAP was going to be risky, nor did I want to land in a TRI of questionable quality. The PD of the one I took is a former EM PD with plenty of connections to the EM world on both AOA and ACGME sides.

The game plan now is to:
#1- Dont fall for the "you're going to match here" hype. I'd heard it for 2 years, but it didn't account for the new PD coming in, and me not rotating with them. Reliable sources say that's why I ultimately got bumped down the rank list, I had auditioned w/the outgoing PD.
#2- Not limiting myself geographically. Apparently, I didn't look at a map really well or talk to other graduates that matched these places.
#3- Do my homework better. I targeted some programs initially that either were geographically biased, or required auditions for interview. Missed out on a potentially better SLOE because I found out too late that they did a group. Didn't really research some of the DO friendly ACGME programs until way too late in the application season.
#4- Seriously consider taking USMLE. I've got easy rotations through the end of March, and then I am free until June 25th. From now, I have essentially 3 months of free time to study. I'll start with an NBME and see how it goes.

Pretty much points 2,3,4 all go back to number 1. I really let that sway the entire process for me.

Reactions: 5 users
So, after 2 weeks of debating, consultation with wise counsel, and self-analysis of what went wrong, I decided on Monday to take a TRI spot connected to my "home" EM program. With only 2 ranks in the ACGME and no USMLE score, my chances were only 46% to match. The home program was not holding spots until the AGCME match was over and they had filled most of them already. I didn't feel like i was going to match and the SOAP was going to be risky, nor did I want to land in a TRI of questionable quality. The PD of the one I took is a former EM PD with plenty of connections to the EM world on both AOA and ACGME sides.

The game plan now is to:
#1- Dont fall for the "you're going to match here" hype. I'd heard it for 2 years, but it didn't account for the new PD coming in, and me not rotating with them. Reliable sources say that's why I ultimately got bumped down the rank list, I had auditioned w/the outgoing PD.
#2- Not limiting myself geographically. Apparently, I didn't look at a map really well or talk to other graduates that matched these places.
#3- Do my homework better. I targeted some programs initially that either were geographically biased, or required auditions for interview. Missed out on a potentially better SLOE because I found out too late that they did a group. Didn't really research some of the DO friendly ACGME programs until way too late in the application season.
#4- Seriously consider taking USMLE. I've got easy rotations through the end of March, and then I am free until June 25th. From now, I have essentially 3 months of free time to study. I'll start with an NBME and see how it goes.

Pretty much points 2,3,4 all go back to number 1. I really let that sway the entire process for me.
I have been following your story. While scary, thank you very much for posting your details, as I am sure it will help others in the future.

I am still a bit confused about where TRI spots can lead. Is it correct that you will go into your TRI year, then apply for PGY-2 EM spots all over the country? If so, why don't all EM programs just fill with PGY-1 students?

Is there a set of specialties that all TRIs prepare you for, or do you go to specific TRIs for specific specialties?

I am still a bit confused about where TRI spots can lead. Is it correct that you will go into your TRI year, then apply for PGY-2 EM spots all over the country? If so, why don't all EM programs just fill with PGY-1 students?

Is there a set of specialties that all TRIs prepare you for, or do you go to specific TRIs for specific specialties?

I'm a little fuzzy on the first part myself. I believe that you still apply for PGY-1 spots, but you may get partial credit, or you can apply if there is a rare PGY-2 spot open. But an ACGME program may not give you any credit at all. Hopefully someone more knowledgeable than me can chime in on that.

My understanding is the TRI does not prepare you for any one specialty, some can though, depending on how they are set up. This one is connected to an EM and an IM program. It also is split by EM and IM tracks, i.e. I'm on the EM track, so I will spend my time with the EM program, it's didactics, in-service, etc. and will spend more time in the ED.

Reactions: 1 users
@CajunMedic, really, I’m happy for you! EM was tough on the AOA side this year and I think you made the right call. You can go for EM again with more/better letters and a better strategy, and SOAP/scramble into IM or FM will still be an option should that not pan out.

If I were you, maybe think about taking Step 2? I think you can take it without having had Step 1. I don’t know how ACGME programs feel about it, but I know Step 2 material is relatively fresh in my head and I could probably take it again without much dedicated time— I can’t say the same for Step 1 material. Again, just something to think about since I’m a fellow fourth year and obviously not a PD or knowledgeable about EM.

If he doesn't match EM, he'll be able to SOAP into FM next year

Sent from my SM-G930V using SDN mobile
I guess that is true. But one has to ask him/herself what are the chances of me matching my preferred specialty next year going thru that stressful process again. Things are getting more competitive by the year and the merger add more uncertainty to this process for DO.

I am just an individual that always have a plan B (sometimes a plan C) for everything, and execute plan B/C if plan A fails... So my post might be influenced by the way I see things.

@CajunMedic, really, I’m happy for you! EM was tough on the AOA side this year and I think you made the right call. You can go for EM again with more/better letters and a better strategy, and SOAP/scramble into IM or FM will still be an option should that not pan out.

If I were you, maybe think about taking Step 2? I think you can take it without having had Step 1. I don’t know how ACGME programs feel about it, but I know Step 2 material is relatively fresh in my head and I could probably take it again without much dedicated time— I can’t say the same for Step 1 material. Again, just something to think about since I’m a fellow fourth year and obviously not a PD or knowledgeable about EM.

you can take Step 2 without Step 1, however on my surg interviews i encountered a few applicants who only took step 2 and they were asked by programs to provide a step 1 score as well. a step 2 in isolation does not really help from what I've heard on the interview trail. Again n=1

I have been following your story. While scary, thank you very much for posting your details, as I am sure it will help others in the future.

Because your not applying to EM PGY-2 spots after the TRI, you are applying directly into categorical EM PGY-1 spots. Meaning you are essentially doing your intern year twice. The point of doing the TRI is to rub shoulders with the faculty of the EM program in the same hospital. Thus you radically increase your chances of matching into that program (I knew of a resident who did this). TBH I really don't understand by schools give this advice about doing a TRI with the hope of matching to the neighboring EM program. It would be better to take an extra year and then apply again. Because once you are in your TRI, you won't have time to audition to other programs. So the only AOA programs that would interview you are the ones you auditioned with the previous year. And I have no idea how successful second time applicants are to these programs.

Similar boat as you @CajunMedic. Surprised when I didn’t match DO EM. Scrambled into an IM spot though but was having second thoughts about it as soon as I told them yes. When it came time to withdraw from NRMP match I couldn’t do it. I hadn’t signed a contract with that place yet and called the PD yesterday to be released from my LOI. I am now going ahead with the NRMP match with my 3 ranks. Probably a long shot but had to try.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Similar boat as you @CajunMedic. Surprised when I didn’t match DO EM. Scrambled into an IM spot though but was having second thoughts about it as soon as I told them yes. When it came time to withdraw from NRMP match I couldn’t do it. I hadn’t signed a contract with that place yet and called the PD yesterday to be released from my LOI. I am now going ahead with the NRMP match with my 3 ranks. Probably a long shot but had to try.
This sounds like a poorly thought out plan.

This sounds like a poorly thought out plan.

Thought out over a 2 week+ period. I know the risks of my decision. Would rather take the 50% chance of matching into something I want to spend the rest of my life doing as opposed to being meh about IM.

Thought out over a 2 week+ period. I know the risks of my decision. Would rather take the 50% chance of matching into something I want to spend the rest of my life doing as opposed to being meh about IM.

Bold move, but you made it with your eyes totally open. Most of us might be too risk-averse for it, but you do you. Best of luck, rooting for you.

Not in this boat at all because i'm happily applying ACGME IM (have been from the start) but asking for a friend who didn't match AOA EM. Whats the deal with FM and then the 1 year EM fellowship? Is that a realistic option for anyone, or no?

Not in this boat at all because i'm happily applying ACGME IM (have been from the start) but asking for a friend who didn't match AOA EM. Whats the deal with FM and then the 1 year EM fellowship? Is that a realistic option for anyone, or no?

Not if you want to work at a Trauma center. Lower acuity hospitals allow for FM docs to work in the ER but these hospitals don't really offer what the adrenaline junkies are looking for. Plus EM docs make more.

Not if you want to work at a Trauma center. Lower acuity hospitals allow for FM docs to work in the ER but these hospitals don't really offer what the adrenaline junkies are looking for. Plus EM docs make more.

Ok that makes sense. Thanks for the informative response! I guess if you like EM for other reasons and not the trauma/critical care type stuff it might be an ok alternative (but with less compensation).

Ok that makes sense. Thanks for the informative response! I guess if you like EM for other reasons and not the trauma/critical care type stuff it might be an ok alternative (but with less compensation).

Lol that essentially means you like primary care or chest pain work up/COPD exacerbation. I mean if you are doing it for the shift work then sure, but you won't be able to be a city. Im not fan of cities so idc, but for those that are then FM doesn't really work. Most cities attract enough BC EM docs that they don't have to rely on the FM guys. Either suburban or more rural should be fine.

My original Plan B was to do just that. I actually auditioned at an AOA FM program that had a follow on EM for FM fellowship. It's an option to get some of the extra EM knowledge, however, you are not eligible for EM Boards.

Not sure how the merger works... Can the dual accredited programs take US MD students?

If they participate in the NRMP match, yes they can.

Did it work out???

Anyone know which programs had the unfiltered spots in EM?

In the AOA Match; Charleston Area Medical Center-Charleston, WV had 2; Freeman Health in Joplin, MO had 1; Olympia Fields, IL had 5 listed. Lehigh Valley's were listed as well, but they were supposed to be ACGME only.

Unity Health in Searcy, AR was the only one I knew about in the ACGME Match.