Could getting a High Score on the Step 3 make a difference?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Sivastraba

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys. As you may already know I didn't match this year. Consequently, I am considering in doing some SERIOUS strengthening to my application. Since my Step 1 and 2 scores were both below the 50th percentile. I was considering in studying my butt of for Step 3 and aimiing to get a high score above the national mean. Could this make a difference? I was also thinking of doing research this year and try to get something published. Any sincere and honest replies without being too harsh will be greatly appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

Sivastraba said:
Hi guys. As you may already know I didn't match this year. Consequently, I am considering in doing some SERIOUS strengthening to my application. Since my Step 1 and 2 scores were both below the 50th percentile. I was considering in studying my butt of for Step 3 and aimiing to get a high score above the national mean. Could this make a difference? I was also thinking of doing research this year and try to get something published. Any sincere and honest replies without being too harsh will be greatly appreciated.

I don't really think step 3 comes into play, it seems even step 2 hardly comes into play as many people I know who matched didn't even release their results. I think it might be best to ask the programs where you did interview at what your less strong areas are and then work on those items.

If you do a prelim year when will you have time to interview (assuming you are and that's why you're taking step 3)?

Most people I know who tried for things like derm did research (a year after graduating if they decided not to try for the match or didn't match) though PM&R is not derm..

I think there are better things you can do to strengthen your application:

1. do electives at PM&R programs
2. Get better LORs
3. Get a publication/ - do research in the field
4. Work on your interview skills
5. Re-write your personal statement
6. Make more contacts in PM&R

step 3 probably will NOT significantly improve your application as a whole. Do you have any idea what area of your application may have been weak? Have you talked to PDs and advisors after the match to get constructive feedback on what you can do to improve your application?