Medical Could allegation from spiteful ex affect admission?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tantacles

Moderator Emeritus
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I’m a little in distress because I received an acceptance into my dream school, but I recently broke up with my ex.

My ex is rather spiteful and has a past history of giving false allegations about people they don’t like to burden their careers. My ex knows that I got into my dream school and I am afraid that they’ll call or email the admissions office claiming something untruthful ( likely something about sexual misconduct, my suspicions come from past allegations that they admitted as false ). I understand the current political climate and agree with “believe the victim”, but I am a little at a loss here. The allegation would have no backing as it is not on any official record and there is absolutely no proof (because it is false, if it were to be claimed). I was wondering if you know whether schools have a proper procedure for handling allegations, whether they tend to make decisions (for example, rescinding an acceptance) without proof, and whether they tend to get a few of these sabotaging calls every cycle. The school I was accepted to is T20, if that matters at all.

Anything to help ease my mind would be great. Thank you!

It is unlikely that your school is soliciting reports from your ex, and it is also likely that if your ex makes a report, they will encourage your ex to go to the authorities if she truly believe that a crime has been committed. That being said, your school may ask you about any event your ex mentions, and I would say that in these kinds of situations, less is more. While it is hard to know how to play out, the best course of action for you right now if you feel your ex might say something nasty about you to a school is to cut off contact with your ex and, if your ex does not know where you have been accepted, to try to ensure that she does not find out. This may mean a cool off period from social media, although it's very possible you've already posted about your acceptance. I don't think there is any need to preemptively talk to your school and let them know about this situation, but if something comes up and your school would like a statement, retaining an attorney would be a great move to make before having a discussion.

Best of luck.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Status
Not open for further replies.