Costco Pharmacy

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BME103

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, I am wondering if anyone has worked at Costco Pharmacy either as an intern or pharmacist. How is the computer system? What is the hourly rate, benefits, etc.

I heard if you want to work there as a tech, you need at least 2 years of experience. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

BME103 said:
Hello, I am wondering if anyone has worked at Costco Pharmacy either as an intern or pharmacist. How is the computer system? What is the hourly rate, benefits, etc.

I heard if you want to work there as a tech, you need at least 2 years of experience. Thanks!

I would like to know as well. Also, how does one go about applying for an internship position while in school?

Members don't see this ad :)
i did a rotation there and hooked a recent grad up with a job there

i think she got paid about 50/hr.....slightly less than other retail chains

hours were 10am-7pm M-F and 10-5 on saturdays

CLOSED SUNDAYS!!!!!!

also closed an hour for lunch around 1-2pm everyday

computer system was recently switched......inputing the info was the old school condor system i think........but the verification was nice using a new scan and image system

there was always about 3 or 4 techs there helping

store does about 100 scripts/day

thing is, pharmacists at costco LOVE their job......they are a great company to work for and the pharmacists and other employees just don't leave

hope this helps some

I applied and had an interview with Costco 6 months ago because I heard their benefits were very good. They tag teamed me on the interview having 2 people asking questions while taking down notes and the questions were the typical BS type questions like "Demonstrate a time when you had to work in a group a what was your role"..."When was a time that you overcame adversity"...blah...blah...blah. Pretty much told them what they wanted to hear and they admitted that I intervied well. When I asked questions of my own about benefits they avoided the questions and said that all that was covered in orientation. They didn't even bother to take me to the pharmacy to show me how their system was or to introduce me to the pharmacists. I took it upon myself to case out the pharmacy and talk to the pharmacist who admited the computer system sucked and they had to use 2 different terminals/programs for entry and verifying. Other than that I know they pay well..$60/hr in Kansas City....Oh yea I didn't get the job or even a phone call. But that again I was a recent graduate so they may have been looking for a more experienced person.

i did a rotation there and hooked a recent grad up with a job there

i think she got paid about 50/hr.....slightly less than other retail chains

hours were 10am-7pm M-F and 10-5 on saturdays

CLOSED SUNDAYS!!!!!!

also closed an hour for lunch around 1-2pm everyday

computer system was recently switched......inputing the info was the old school condor system i think........but the verification was nice using a new scan and image system

there was always about 3 or 4 techs there helping

store does about 100 scripts/day

thing is, pharmacists at costco LOVE their job......they are a great company to work for and the pharmacists and other employees just don't leave

hope this helps some

Yes, it does help.. Those hours sound good and so does the one hour lunch :D Where is that salary though, in California? That does seem low.

I applied and had an interview with Costco 6 months ago because I heard their benefits were very good. They tag teamed me on the interview having 2 people asking questions while taking down notes and the questions were the typical BS type questions like "Demonstrate a time when you had to work in a group a what was your role"..."When was a time that you overcame adversity"...blah...blah...blah. Pretty much told them what they wanted to hear and they admitted that I intervied well. When I asked questions of my own about benefits they avoided the questions and said that all that was covered in orientation. They didn't even bother to take me to the pharmacy to show me how their system was or to introduce me to the pharmacists. I took it upon myself to case out the pharmacy and talk to the pharmacist who admited the computer system sucked and they had to use 2 different terminals/programs for entry and verifying. Other than that I know they pay well..$60/hr in Kansas City....Oh yea I didn't get the job or even a phone call. But that again I was a recent graduate so they may have been looking for a more experienced person.

Hmm, it sounds like you did a good job at the interview, why do you think you didn't get it, are you absolutely sure? Did you really want to work there or did you decide to go somewhere else?

Hmm, it sounds like you did a good job at the interview, why do you think you didn't get it, are you absolutely sure? Did you really want to work there or did you decide to go somewhere else?

Yea I kicked ass on the interview, both interviewers told me so, unless they are both good at lying with with straight faces. But I never got any type of phone call back. i think I was because I was a recent grad with only hospital experience and they wanted to fill the position quickly. Another side note...I was not impressed with their management. i had to wait an extra 45 minutes for my scheduled 1:00 interview.

it was actually for a costco in MD

i think in MD, the avg starting salary for wags and cvs is around 52-54/hr

management is always a problem when working for a place like costco.......you are pretty much equivalent to the head of the deli dept........all they care about is the $$$$ and #s

my preceptor did tell me that the store manager would pull the techs and put them in different depts if things were getting busy there........but that's what happens when the pharmacy is about <5% of the warehouse sales........they are not looking to make a huge profit from the pharmacy.........instead, they know that people will easily spend another 50-100 dollars while waiting for their prescriptions to be filled

I see.. thanks for that information! I'm just trying to find a retail "chain" I would feel comfortable with if I were to do retail.. I worked at CVS and didn't like it much, so I thought I would try either a warehouse, grocery store, or department store (Walmart, Target) pharmacy next. They seem more laidback than CVS or Walgreens, which is something I am looking for.

It must depend on the location. Most of the pharmacists that I have worked with have told me to avoid Costco (at least the one in my city) like the plague. They are always insanely busy - I've seen lines of 20 or more people on a Saturday, even with what looked like 4 or more techs and 2 pharmacists. When I've called and needed a transfer, etc, the pharmacist always sounds stressed out. I don't know the numbers, but the Costco in my city must do 3-400 rxs on a slow day.

HOWEVER, I did hear about one of the newer hires at my company being stolen away by Costco when her 2-year commitment came up - Costco was able to offer her a week's more vacation and $5 more an hour (which probably meant $55/hour). Even though the working conditions are worse than at our chain, the benefits were too good for her to ignore.

your post is irrelevant without giving a location :thumbup:

I see.. thanks for that information! I'm just trying to find a retail "chain" I would feel comfortable with if I were to do retail.. I worked at CVS and didn't like it much, so I thought I would try either a warehouse, grocery store, or department store (Walmart, Target) pharmacy next. They seem more laidback than CVS or Walgreens, which is something I am looking for.

Just FYI- I did a project this summer where I interviewed a bunch of community pharmacists in their pharmacy, and the Wal-mart folks were uniformly busy, stressed, and unhappy. I think the $4 Rx is seriously affecting their work environment. So, Wal-mart may or may not be a good employer, but I wouldn't refer to it as laid-back based on my observations.

Members don't see this ad :)
pharmacist I used to work with worked part-time at Costcos around Phoenix. She loved it (don't remember why)

Just FYI- I did a project this summer where I interviewed a bunch of community pharmacists in their pharmacy, and the Wal-mart folks were uniformly busy, stressed, and unhappy. I think the $4 Rx is seriously affecting their work environment. So, Wal-mart may or may not be a good employer, but I wouldn't refer to it as laid-back based on my observations.

You make a good point, I can see my local Walmart being the same way too.

It must depend on the location. Most of the pharmacists that I have worked with have told me to avoid Costco (at least the one in my city) like the plague. They are always insanely busy - I've seen lines of 20 or more people on a Saturday, even with what looked like 4 or more techs and 2 pharmacists. When I've called and needed a transfer, etc, the pharmacist always sounds stressed out. I don't know the numbers, but the Costco in my city must do 3-400 rxs on a slow day.

HOWEVER, I did hear about one of the newer hires at my company being stolen away by Costco when her 2-year commitment came up - Costco was able to offer her a week's more vacation and $5 more an hour (which probably meant $55/hour). Even though the working conditions are worse than at our chain, the benefits were too good for her to ignore.

Yeah, I'd like to know the location as well. :D

I've been at tech at costco for 3 years, am now a P1 and gonna be working there as an intern. I have worked in one of the stores in Northern Virginia the whole time. The computer system I think is really great. Everything is done electronically- NO tag and bag. Yeah the stores can get busy but we have staffing to back it up. We have 3 pharmacists and 4-6 techs on duty every day and they really are only like 300 script days. Most of the time we end up asking if people want to leave early (which is nice if you're having a rough day and dont want to be there). The shifts are 8 1/2 hours, and you get 1/2 hour break for lunch. Technically you are allowed 2, 15 min breaks but no one ever takes them. Pay scale is really good too. I cant speak for pharmacists or interns yet, but techs can top out around 21/hr with bonuses every 6 months. I dont know anything about the insurance they offer other than it is REALLY cheap, and i know generic prescriptions are $5. Upper management are a bunch of idiots who have completely forgotten what its like to be working in the pharmacy, but i think you'll get that in any company. Anything else i can answer- let me know

I'd guess Pocatello since she's at ISU.

Actually, Boise - I still consider it my home town and I'm there a lot of weekends. I'll be there full-time starting in May (the program is such that we can do our last two years there). Pocatello isn't quite big enough to warrant a Costco, but I've heard rumors that there's one in the works.

Actually, since I last posted, I've been to the Costco I mentioned in my post. I went last Saturday, and the pharmacy didn't look as busy - only about 6 people in line. But the weather was really bad outside, so that might have been part of it. The whole store wasn't as crowded as normal for a Saturday.

The only thing that bothered me was that they had a lady "demoing" the new OTC Zyrtec (she had pamphlets and free pens) I saw people coming up to her and asking her questions about the medicine. The poor old woman had no clue what Zyrtec even did. It just seemed like a very poor way to advertise a drug - let alone a slightly dangerous one.

I am applying to costco in chicago market. Does anyone know what is the starting pay there? Also, can anyone else corroborate that store manager pulls out tech from pharmacy to other areas?

Thanks

Average starting salary for a new pharm tech in the Chicago market is about $9-$10 per hour. Costco generally starts a little higher because of company policy.

I will NEVER work for Costco, Walmart, Target, or any other non-born pharmacy setting. They don't know where the practice is going, nor frankly care. The merely care about profit nor care about the patient. Of course this is my opinion, but i stand firmly behind it.

I truly hate Wally World...Sorry, venting.

10 am - 7 pm???? Those are my dream hours! I would love that kind of schedule!! :love: I have those hours only when I work as a mid-shift for my company....but it's my favorite time of day to work. I get to sleep in, but I still have a few hours in the evening to get things done.

Costco and Sam's are the best retail places to work in the universe. It's usually slow with great hours. Only an independent can do better.

10 am - 7 pm???? Those are my dream hours! I would love that kind of schedule!! :love: I have those hours only when I work as a mid-shift for my company....but it's my favorite time of day to work. I get to sleep in, but I still have a few hours in the evening to get things done.

10AM is still too early. Hell, I haven't woken up before 11AM since February.

10AM is still too early. Hell, I haven't woken up before 11AM since February.

But you have to one day! :p

As for a great place to work, I guess that is why the osco near my home doesn't have any openings. CVS aren't busy whenever I visit them but I didn't know how many people would be at the Costco pharmacy since it is a membership store. The good thing might be that you don't have that many prescriptions to fill or drive through windows [i don't think there are any at costco's] like walgreens but you would also have less revenue since it is a membership store; stores actually cut employee benefits first when they have any loss of revenue..

RP911, what you described is retail pharmacy and its drive thru future. I also think, as do many pharmacists, that retail pharmacy chains focus too much on the retail than the pharmacy but you have to understand it is an outpatient business unlike the primary patient hospital pharmacies. But then, there aren't many hospital pharmacies nor will they grow exponentially as any new hospitals are overshadowed by many struggling close to bankruptcy hospitals.

Ok now that my rant is over, I would like more people to report on their costco pharmacy experiences.. :)

Average starting salary for a new pharm tech in the Chicago market is about $9-$10 per hour. Costco generally starts a little higher because of company policy.

Is that the most current one? I am just asking because this was the standard for walgreens 2 years and they do adjust for inflation...

Is that the most current one? I am just asking because this was the standard for walgreens 2 years and they do adjust for inflation...
Yup. There has been very little inflation these past few years. Walgreens starts at $9 for uncertified and $10 for certified. The base intern rate hasn't changed since I started pharmacy school.

I'm trying to get retail experience and Costco is my number once choice to work. Good pay, nice setting, not a ton of people, and close to my home. I've been trying to get a job at my Costco for almost a month as a pharmacy clerk or tech. The manager said that he has no positions but to keep in touch. I'm hoping they'll have a position by Fall, and I'll just have to work at another pharmacy until then. Fingers crossed!

I don't work at Costco, but I can't stand them. For some unknown reason when you call them to get a price for a medication so you can match it they refuse to do it citing that they can't give out prices to other pharmacies. I think that that is not only rude, but unprofessional and a hinderance to communication between health care providers. It is so ridiculous, especially when you can get on their website and get prices there... what a joke.

And I love when I call them for a transfer while the patient is waiting and the pharmacist asks me to call back later, as in the NEXT DAY.

I've had my worst experiences with Costco and Walgreens.

For some unknown reason when you call them to get a price for a medication so you can match it they refuse to do it citing that they can't give out prices to other pharmacies

Because if they do, they will be answering the phones all day from people like you.

Guess what, buddy... they still have to answer the phone when I call, be it for a price match or another reason. So your logic is really absurd. As long as a patient would like a price match from Costco, I'll call them.

Posted to wrong forum. Sorry.

Last edited:
I would love to talk to a pharmacist or pharmacy tech, (especially one that feels like they've been screwed, and would like to screw them back) that is currently planning on leaving Costco, in the near future.
Not that I don't feel screwed myself, but I'd like to hear from you.
Please message me.:smuggrin:

?? what did they do to screw you?