Cost of Step III depending on state?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

freddydpt

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

During the interview trail I remembered getting advice from various residents saying to register for Step III in certain states because some states required an extra fee.

Does anyone know the cheapest route for this? i.e. cost of registering in specific states and/or cost of transferring licenses if need be.

Or, if I'm completely off base, please let me know!

Fred

Members don't see this ad.

Hi,

During the interview trail I remembered getting advice from various residents saying to register for Step III in certain states because some states required an extra fee.

Does anyone know the cheapest route for this? i.e. cost of registering in specific states and/or cost of transferring licenses if need be.

Or, if I'm completely off base, please let me know!

Fred

It is to my understanding that the exam itself is the same in all states, since it is a federal exam. What I believe you may be referring to is the licensing fees that vary from state to state. Some states require you to apply for a license at the same time as the test (or at least this used to be the case), so that may be the "tacked on fees" that you refer to.

In any event, the easiest way to answer this question is to go to the fsmb site directly and look under the tab for first time licensing requirements by each state and the US territories. I think that will clear up any confusion.