Cost of living in Dublin

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Arb

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Forum member alincoln wrote that it would cost around $20K/year to live in Dublin and this is a conservative estimate. For those in Dublin, is this average?

Members don't see this ad.

let's see, rent runs around 600 euro a month per person for a 2 bed...yuo can find cheaper accomodation, but you need to look harder and be willing to live a little further out. The cost of living is almost prohibitively expensive, especially if your not a trust fund baby and possibly have loans. Food is expensive, phone bills (land lines and mobiles) are costly...in fact it is cheaper for me to call my folks in canada from the landline, than it is to call a local friend on a mobile. Plus factor in other bills and you're easily up to 200-300 euro a month. If it roughly costs a grand a month in euros, convert that to dollars for a reasnable estimate. If you plan to go out, enjoy the city and actually still have a life, increase that cost by another 50-60%. While in dublin, many people find it hard to resist the opputrunity to travel across europe for cheap, and weekends away add up in the end.
Despite the cost (and crime), its a great, fun, young, cosmopolitan city. I've lived here for the past 4 and a half years and feel very lucky for that chance.

Arb said:
Forum member alincoln wrote that it would cost around $20K/year to live in Dublin and this is a conservative estimate. For those in Dublin, is this average?

If you shop around for accomodation and aren't too fussy where you stay and don't splash the cash around by heading out 2-3 times a week you should be able to live for a year in Dublin for $17K. Granted, my estimates are 2 years out of date, but I doubt the cost of living could have jumped that much since I've left.

At least, I hope not. :scared:

Members don't see this ad :)
hmm. I get by comfortably on 12K, maybe a little extra from holiday money and stuff, let's say 13K. I don't really go travelling all that much because I don't have time, and I don't eat out a lot. It's slightly cheaper this year because I don't have that many bills to pay, but okay...let's overestimate again and say 13.5-14K per year.

I would live in a phone booth just to be in Dublin.

leorl said:
hmm. I get by comfortably on 12K, maybe a little extra from holiday money and stuff, let's say 13K. I don't really go travelling all that much because I don't have time, and I don't eat out a lot. It's slightly cheaper this year because I don't have that many bills to pay, but okay...let's overestimate again and say 13.5-14K per year.

Baked beans and toast for dinner then? ;)

I considered around E250/week living expenses ($15,500), with the other $1,500 for large miscellaneous purchases. It's hard to estimate for certain though as it's not as if you're in college all year round.

$14K Euro right?

How expensive are groceries compared to North American cities? Utilities and internet? Who really needs a cell phone or landline anyways or television.

Also, rent is a set cost but everything else can be shared with roommates. Are most of you guys living alone?

Arb said:
Utilities and internet? Who really needs a cell phone or landline anyways or television.

If you think that you don't need a phone, you're having a pipe dream. You need to be realistic when planning your budget for medical school. It's a long 5 or 6 years in Ireland and some personal comforts and social connections will go a very long way to making your experience more palatable. 14,OOO Euro is a minimum, I would say budget more and keep in mind that inflation, tuition increases and fluctuations of the exchange rate will definately lead to you overspending your budget considerably by the time you graduate. I don't know of one person that was in my class that spent less money than what they budgeted for the above reasons.

Uhh...for 3 consecutive years I had neither a phone nor television. The pass 4.5 years I had no landline phone and I just recently subscribed to cable tv. All this while attending school and/or being employed. You know what they say about assumptions....

I fully expect to have a phone though if I attend an Irish school and subscribe to an internet provider.

So $14K is in Euros then correct? The other poster was referring to USD so I wasn't sure.

Arb said:
Uhh...for 3 consecutive years I had neither a phone nor television. The pass 4.5 years I had no landline phone and I just recently subscribed to cable tv. All this while attending school and/or being employed. You know what they say about assumptions....
Actually, I don't know what they say about assumptions. Why don't you fill me in? Do assumptions make an 'ass' out of 'u' and 'mptions'; if so, that makes no sense at all and maybe you should spend a couple more years in elementary school to work on your english skills.

I spent five years living in Ireland and have provided you factual information that is based not only on my experience but that of many other students that I went to medical school with. However, you can believe what you want to believe. I mean you must have great knowledge of the daily woes of a medical student studying in Ireland from staring at your medical school application packet every night and reading these SDN forums.

Actually I was going to say assumptions don't always turn out to be true...I don't see where I'm calling you an ass but you sure are acting like one. If it's just a misunderstanding, then I apologize. Thanks for the info anyways. Again, I was only asking if $14K is in Euros.

Arb said:
Actually I was going to say assumptions don't always turn out to be true...I don't see where I'm calling you an ass but you sure are acting like one. If it's just a misunderstanding, then I apologize. Thanks for the info anyways. Again, I was only asking if $14K is in Euros.

Hey Arb --

I live in a 2BR and we're both at work all the time -- so bills are on the low side, therefore this is a conservative estimate. My last month's bills were:

Rent: E750.
Electric: E40
Gas: E60
Phone: E40 (just for line rental -- no calls made)
Internet: E55
Groceries: E200
----------------
Total: E1,145

So bare-bonesing it, you're looking at around E1,200/mo. Multiply by 12 months and you get E14,400.

Now add in entertainment, transportation, pints, travel, books, equip (one-offs like your stethoscope, labcoat, etc.) -- and you're looking at around E16,000, easy.

Last I checked, USD/EUR exchange rate was at $1.20/E1.00 -- so multiply E16k by 1.2 and you get $19,200.

Voila! Your $20,000 as stated in my last post.

How does the electric system work there?...I heard u have to pay for it like..manually..with like powercards?....

v-man said:
How does the electric system work there?...I heard u have to pay for it like..manually..with like powercards?....

ROFL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :laugh: :laugh:

Yes, you put in a 1 euro coin into a meter for every half hour of electricity you want... :smuggrin:

Trinners said:
ROFL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :laugh: :laugh:

Yes, you put in a 1 euro coin into a meter for every half hour of electricity you want... :smuggrin:

LOL..no seriously..ahhaa....Do you honestly may 1 euro coins for every half hour of electricity?...cause boy..I"m buying a like..a turbine....

Thanks alincoln! That break down was exactly what I was looking for.

So you stay in Ireland for 12 months of the year? Are you from North America?

I don't think you pay your electricity bill that way lol. Besides, I'm sure we all have tampered with arcade games before and it would too easy to tamper haha.

Yes Arb, I was referring to Euro - 14,000 euro. You can definitely find cheaper places to rent than 750 per month. At my university, most people would be paying around 500 euro rent. You might get a higher scale place your first year, but then once you know the areas of Dublin a bit better and know which places are most cost-effective but still "safe," you can lower your rent.

Electricity - you learn tricks to save on the ESB bill (i.e. not using the dryer all the time, and turning on the heating as late as possible). Landline phone might not be essential if you make your calls with your mobile and get your parents to call you instead of you calling them :). Nowadays depending on what area you're in, you can get internet without a phone line.

The ESB bill???..My dad/friend told me that u actually have to pay like coins for ur electricity..whats up with the bill??....I wonder which ones more efficient/cheaper....(I think i'm confused :confused: )

So when you say mobile, i'm assuming your refering to mobile services in Ireland?..Whats more cheaper Mobile phone or Landline phones? when making calls to North America (Canada)....

Sorry i'm rather young for these things, and I'm assuming you guys have experience...so please do tell!..

Thanks!

Dude,

Forget coins, phone bills and bus tickets. Budget for about $5,000 per year in anal lube. If you are going to the RCSI, you will have to bend over, grab your ankles and take it!

big-gun said:
Dude,

Forget coins, phone bills and bus tickets. Budget for about $5,000 per year in anal lube. If you are going to the RCSI, you will have to bend over, grab your ankles and take it!

Don't forget about biting pillow.

big-gun said:
Dude,

AHahahha i'm still curious..

v-man said:
AHahahha i'm still curious..

Curious?!?

You have 2 options if you are curious in Dublin:

1. Go to The George on George's Street pretty much any night of the week and your inquisitive desires will be satisfied... as it were...

2. Pay the RCSI EUR 35,000 per year and take it in the ass for 5 years.

choices, choices, choices....