Cosmetics Billing Question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Slack3r

Sicker than your average
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I’m looking for permanent positions, and one was offering 7.5% of gross cosmetic billing. For reference, Botox in the area is typically going for $12-13/unit, at cost of $6/unit. This seems pretty low, with 50 units only netting $45. Doesn’t seem worth the time at that price.

What’s standard way of calculating injectable reimbursement to the performing doc? I figured most practices offered a % after cost of product was taken out.

Members don't see this ad.

I’m looking for permanent positions, and one was offering 7.5% of gross cosmetic billing. For reference, Botox in the area is typically going for $12-13/unit, at cost of $6/unit. This seems pretty low, with 50 units only netting $45. Doesn’t seem worth the time at that price.

What’s standard way of calculating injectable reimbursement to the performing doc? I figured most practices offered a % after cost of product was taken out.

Wow that's pretty terrible, I interviewed at a practice that offered 25% of gross cosmetic billing and was turned off

Other practices did what you mentioned, offering a % (typically close to what your standard gen derm % is) after cost of product is removed

7.5% ?!?

I'm pretty sure that the nurse that injects botox at the medispa a couple of blocks from me gets more than 7.5% of gross.

Members don't see this ad :)
Wow that's pretty terrible, I interviewed at a practice that offered 25% of gross cosmetic billing and was turned off

Other practices did what you mentioned, offering a % (typically close to what your standard gen derm % is) after cost of product is removed

Is this the type of data that would be available in the MGMA sets?

Is this the type of data that would be available in the MGMA sets?

My MGMA data is very old but I do not believe cosmetic % was a data set. Total collections / collection % was a part of the MGMA set (obviously)

I still think that for someone looking for a job, the best comparison is still to solicit multiple offers.

That's terrible. Hard pass at 7.5%.

I could argue 20-25% isn't much better, at least for Botox. It all depends on how quick your cosmetic procedures take. If you live in a high-maintenance market where patients have tons of questions, it's not going to be in and out in 2 minutes or you won't build up via word of mouth. So if you do the math, often times you come out ahead doing x number of TBSEs in the time it would take you to do Botox or Botox/filler. But it all depends on how efficient your cosmetic skills are vs. your medical dermatology visits.

The math is different for everyone. Run the numbers and figure out how valuable your time is.