Correlation betw. Interview Performance and Decision?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

1dharma

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

I was wondering if people thought there has been a correlation between how your interiew(s) at a school went and the decision on your application. That is, have you had terrible interviews at a school and been rejected there? Fantastic interviews and been accepted? Or have decisions surprised you based on how the interview day went.

-1d

Members don't see this ad.

Hi,

I don't think that you can find such a relationship. All you can aim for is doing the best that you can at conveying to the admissions committee who you are, and what you stand for.

I had an interview 3 weeks ago which I felt did not go well, but I ended up being accepted. I have also been turned down from a school where I thought I had the best interview ever.

Originally posted by 1dharma
Hey all,

I was wondering if people thought there has been a correlation between how your interiew(s) at a school went and the decision on your application. That is, have you had terrible interviews at a school and been rejected there? Fantastic interviews and been accepted? Or have decisions surprised you based on how the interview day went.

-1d

Obviously there is a correlation between how the interviewer felt about you and your chances of admitance. But the problem with you judging your chances by how YOU think the interview went, based on your interviews behavior is that you only get to see your interviewer interview one person, yourself. Some interviewers are hard on everyone, and some are easy on everyone. If you dont know the two from one another you would assume you did well in the later and poorly in the former. But you might shine better at stress interviews than laid back ones, relative to other applicants. Though if someone outright says, "I want you here" then you can be assured you did well. But them saying "I like you" is somthing that they all say. I went on three interviews and the one school that accepted me had three interviews. One was a stress interview. But i got right in. Its all relative to your competition. I was waitlisted at the schools that were super laid back. (for whatever reason, interview or not)

from my experience thus far, the interviewee is the least equipped to judge an interview performance. you think you did really well? well maybe that interviewer is nice to everyone! You think you did bad? Maybe that interviewer is a jerk to everyone. If you're sincere and honest, it'll work out in the end.