Correction

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

galadriel

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I made an error recently by stating that in New York (and several other states)off-shore medical school grads cannot be eligible for residencies unless the medical school is approved by the state.

What is true is that off-shore medical school students cannot do clinical clerkships (essentially 3 & 4 year rotations)in hospitals in the state unless the school has received the approval of the state.

Any graduate of any medical school listed in the World Directory of Medical Schools (a UN publication) is eligible for residency and licensure. They have to apply for certification by the Educational Commission on Foreign Medical Graduates (ECFMG), pass 4 exams (1 basic medical science, 2 & 3 clinical, and 4 (hands on clinical)to be eligible for licensure.

------------------

Members don't see this ad.

I am a pre-med student considering going to Medical school overseas. I have a few role models who did it successfully years ago but have advised me that it may be difficult now. I like the perks of less tuition costs and traveling to a caribbean country but I'm worried. My grades are not the greatest and I haven't taken my MCAT yet (I will in April). I don't want to have to wait years and years to get into a school here. What should I look for in my search for a foreign school? What about schools, like The American University of the Caribbean in St. Martin? They offer US financial aid and teach according to the American standard. Anyone with info please let me know.

Check out St George's U. in Grenada. Web site is SGU.EDU. I am happy with my decision to go to school there. Good luck in your search.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi girl2bmd, what semester were you accepted for? I recently applied, and have an interview coming up on October 21. I'm nervous, because sgu is actually my first choice of school, I've been accepted to a D.O. school, but I really want to go to sgu. Any helpful tips? How's the interview? I would love to here any info you might be willing to cough up. Thanks.

Congrats on being offered an interview! I interviewed in June and I was accepted into the class starting Jan., 2001. My interviewer was a recent grad who is doing a fellowship in Infectious Disease at Loyola, in Chicago. He was really nice and my interview time was mostly spent discussing life in Grenada and the rigors of going the IMG route, etc... There were no "pimp" questions. I'd say the whole thing lasted maybe 30 mins. I have heard from others that how long your interview will last and the sorts of questions you will be asked all depend on who is interviewing you. I would suggest you read up on current events just to be safe. Also, if there are any unusual circumstances regarding your application, etc.. be ready with good explanations. I also suggest you have some questions ready to ask the interviewer about the program, etc..., this will show your interest. Be sure to get a good night's sleep, give a firm handshake, make good eye contact, smile, and you should be fine. Remember that if they doubted your abilities they would not have offered you an interview! As for the written portion, it is a cinch. You will have 10 minutes to write an essay chosen from 3 topics. I have no idea why they do this other than to make sure your well written essays you turned in with your app. came from you and not some resume' service, etc.. Good luck! Hope to see you on the island come January.