Coronavirus and Pharmacist Patient Counseling

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

winnguyen

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is it time to re-evaluate the process of pharmacist + patient counseling. Every time we walk up to a patient to counsel him, we risk exposure to communicable disease. You have to be less than 6 feet away from someone during most of the counseling interaction. There must be some point where a corporate chain or a BOP is taking on liability/responsibility for forcing pharmacists into these face-to-face/hand-to-hand interactions.

Members don't see this ad.

Is it time to re-evaluate the process of pharmacist + patient counseling. Every time we walk up to a patient to counsel him, we risk exposure to communicable disease. You have to be less than 6 feet away from someone during most of the counseling interaction. There must be some point where a corporate chain or a BOP is taking on liability/responsibility for forcing pharmacists into these face-to-face/hand-to-hand interactions.
Customers are less than 6 feet away from cashiers when checking out their groceries. Amazon warehouse workers are not 6 feet away from other warehouse workers, and this will especially not be the case when they hire their 100,000 additional workers (because let's be realistic, none of these temporary workers are going to be working from home).

Take a ticket and wait in line to file your complaint...

Reactions: 1 user
Some chains are installing plexiglass “sneeze guards” now.

Members don't see this ad :)
we need someone to start a petition to go drive thru only and waive counseling requirements...

• Haha
we need someone to start a petition to go drive thru only and waive counseling requirements...
How did the petition to put limits on pharmacy class sizes with over 23,000 signatures go? Oh that's right, nowhere.

• Haha
Texas has removed the in person counseling requirement.

You guys are getting close to your patients now? I have techs that can relay the information while I stand safely behind my computer with my full hazmat suit on (better them than me, right?).

You guys are getting close to your patients now? I have techs that can relay the information while I stand safely behind my computer with my full hazmat suit on (better them than me, right?).
While I'm assuming this is sarcasm, I floated at a store the other day where the techs were shocked that I'd go over and talk to patients. Apparently the staff pharmacists there were refusing to interact with anyone and just had the techs relay everything or had the patient call with questions. I can't imagine asking my techs to do anything that I'm not willing to.

Sent from my HD1925 using SDN mobile

Reactions: 2 users
While I'm assuming this is sarcasm, I floated at a store the other day where the techs were shocked that I'd go over and talk to patients. Apparently the staff pharmacists there were refusing to interact with anyone and just had the techs relay everything or had the patient call with questions. I can't imagine asking my techs to do anything that I'm not willing to.

Sent from my HD1925 using SDN mobile

I dont get that mentality. For one, the techs work at a fraction of our pay and many are single supporters of children....I'd much rather be the one to get it than them, because I can still pay my bills no problem if I'm out of work 3+ weeks. And we are all in a cramped pharmacy, sharing workspace, touching the same items, vials, keyboards, etc. If a tech contracts it, the pharmacist will probably catch it from them anyway before symptoms present. Hiding in the back isnt going to protect you.

Reactions: 4 users
Customers are less than 6 feet away from cashiers when checking out their groceries. Amazon warehouse workers are not 6 feet away from other warehouse workers, and this will especially not be the case when they hire their 100,000 additional workers (because let's be realistic, none of these temporary workers are going to be working from home).

I agree but that does not mean they can't do something about.Physicians use telemedicine and so could pharmacy.MTM is done by phone.They do in remote areas now.The question is will the chains pay for it. Any BOP who makes an issue out of it should be tarred and feathered.They are all at home safe collecting a paycheck which pharmacists pay for every 2 years.

TBH who doesn't get sick working in a chain pharmacy especially with disgusting people spamming urgent care and emergency departments.

The difference is that in the cases you cite there's really nothing to be done about, whereas consults on all "new" prescriptions (usually a renewal of levothyroxine they've been taking for 20 years or something like that) are the result of a law which was often ignored and was barely justifiable before any of this happened. The customers usually don't want it. It probably cut our error rate a little bit, but you have to weigh that against the possibility of being a super spreader to our patients who are elderly with comorbities, which would essentially make you a mass murderer (I assume we'll all get the virus anyway so I'm not really worried about protecting us).

With self-checkouts it's not even really true that you have to get close to a cashier anymore.

I have always been scrupulous about following this rule but rhese are extraordinary times.

I think we'll start back up again when/if we get those sneeze guards or some proper ppe.

Texas has removed the in person counseling requirement.

Yes, they let you make a phone call for every prescription, something that isn't really very practical, and would just lead to patients not answering calls from the pharmacy if we did it. Thanks for nothing, TX board!

Why does mail order get away with just sending stuff out but we have to be super spreaders?

With self-checkouts it's not even really true that you have to get close to a cashier anymore.
Yet when COVID-19 first came out and "shelter in place" mandates were enacted, where do the people go? Oh yeah, they flooded Costco to hoard water, toilet paper and food. And Costco isn't moving to a self checkout model anytime soon.

Yet when COVID-19 first came out and "shelter in place" mandates were enacted, where do the people go? Oh yeah, they flooded Costco to hoard water, toilet paper and food. And Costco isn't moving to a self checkout model anytime soon.

I love the prices but I hate shopping there because of how on top of each other everyone is when they get to check out.

My Costco has self checkout counters. 6 counters.