Cornell c/o 2021 Applicants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I just don't want to falsely get my hopes up...I have an extremely strong GPA, a ton of animal and vet experience, but my GRE scores are rather embarrassing haha I just don't want to be crushed when the results come in if that's even possible.

Define embarrassing?

Are you a NYS resident?

Members don't see this ad.

I just don't want to falsely get my hopes up...I have an extremely strong GPA, a ton of animal and vet experience, but my GRE scores are rather embarrassing haha I just don't want to be crushed when the results come in if that's even possible.
What I'm doing is expecting not to get in my top schools, but hoping I do (REALLY HOPING I DO). That way, the devastation won't be so bad. The wait and the unknown may be challenging, but there's nothing we can do at this point :) except congratulate ourselves on getting in our applications and being patient (even though it is hard)... at least that is what I think! We will hear when there is news to share :D.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I am above average for verbal and right at average for quantitative.

I am not a NYS resident.

I wouldn't be too worried about those stats if you really do have a strong GPA (that would be >/= 3.7 for Cornell). They tend to favor a higher verbal GRE score.

The only thing I would be concerned about is that you are not NYS. You are up against a lot of other applicants, I believe almost 1,000. What will ultimately set you apart from that large of an applicant pool will be your personal statement, supplemental application responses, and experiences. There may be nothing inherently "wrong" with your application, the applicant pool is just HUGE and there are only so many seats.

Cornell increased their class size this year to 120. There are 65 NYS seats and 55 OOS seats. Best case scenario, if you aren't accepted, you'll be placed on the alternate list!

Best of luck :)

I wouldn't be too worried about those stats if you really do have a strong GPA (that would be >/= 3.7 for Cornell). They tend to favor a higher verbal GRE score.

The only thing I would be concerned about is that you are not NYS. You are up against a lot of other applicants, I believe almost 1,000. What will ultimately set you apart from that large of an applicant pool will be your personal statement, supplemental application responses, and experiences. There may be nothing inherently "wrong" with your application, the applicant pool is just HUGE and there are only so many seats.

Cornell increased their class size this year to 120. There are 65 NYS seats and 55 OOS seats. Best case scenario, if you aren't accepted, you'll be placed on the alternate list!

Best of luck :)
Thank you for getting back to me! :) my cumulative GPA from Penn State is a 4.0, so hopefully that will have a little weight against being out of state. I just kind of wanted to put some feelers out there to see if I am even in a competitive pool or not. I appreciate your feedback a TON!

Thank you for getting back to me! :) my cumulative GPA from Penn State is a 4.0, so hopefully that will have a little weight against being out of state. I just kind of wanted to put some feelers out there to see if I am even in a competitive pool or not. I appreciate your feedback a TON!

Fellow penn state grad here! I applied back in 2012, but not to Cornell. I plan on applying here
for class of 2022 though. Best of luck!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 user
I'm a Penn State grad as well! (Just graduated yesterday actually :)) I'm IS and applied to Cornell this cycle.

Does anyone know if Cornell just looks at the overall GPA with the admission formula? Or does it look at science GPAs and last 45 as well?

I'm a Penn State grad as well! (Just graduated yesterday actually :)) I'm IS and applied to Cornell this cycle.

Does anyone know if Cornell just looks at the overall GPA with the admission formula? Or does it look at science GPAs and last 45 as well?

They mostly just account for cumulative GPA but they certainly look for upward trends and decent grades in prereqs, things like that.

Last edited:
Hey, I just wanted to pop in and wish everyone luck and words of encouragement! I hope you hear soon :) I'm happy to offer my perspective if it's helpful but it looks like sheltermed is on it <3

Hey, I just wanted to pop in and wish everyone luck and words of encouragement! I hope you hear soon :) I'm happy to offer my perspective if it's helpful but it looks like sheltermed is on it <3
Sometimes I feel like I should forget vet med and be an academic advisor, lmao. I'm never getting into Cornell but I certainly know how one could!

Sent from my SM-G935V using SDN mobile

So when do we think we'll hear from Cornell?
Last year it was 1/4, and the year before it was 1/5. Both were Monday mornings. My guess for this year is 1/2, unless their office is closed since it's the day after New Years.

For anyone who has been accepted to Cornell, or for anyone who knows.... if you are accepted do they hold some sort of an event where you can go check out the school? If they do is it usually held at a particular time or weekend (January, February...?)?

Members don't see this ad :)
For anyone who has been accepted to Cornell, or for anyone who knows.... if you are accepted do they hold some sort of an event where you can go check out the school? If they do is it usually held at a particular time or weekend (January, February...?)?
The timetable they posted on their website says there will be information sessions for admitted students and alternates in February.

Not accepted (current applicant) but I know a few people who went to Cornell for Vet school. My understanding is that they have a welcome weekend type thing for all accepted and waitlisted students, I think it's either in February or march? Sorry if I'm off on the time scale =/

The timetable they posted on their website says there will be information sessions for admitted students and alternates in February.

Not accepted (current applicant) but I know a few people who went to Cornell for Vet school. My understanding is that they have a welcome weekend type thing for all accepted and waitlisted students, I think it's either in February or march? Sorry if I'm off on the time scale =/

Thank you guys!

Last year it was 1/4, and the year before it was 1/5. Both were Monday mornings. My guess for this year is 1/2, unless their office is closed since it's the day after New Years.
I think we may not hear from them on 1/2 because the university will still be closed for winter break. They're re-opening on 1/3 so hopefully that will be the day!

So I got an email yesterday from Jennifer Mailey answering some questions I had. She said that they notify by email the first or second week of January. Do they just say that and they really call people?

The director of admissions talked a little about this during one of their presentations. IIRC, they use some sort of online database that ranks schools in terms of difficulty to get into and some other factors in order to come up with that quantification.

This is accurate.

In addition to that school ranking, they also consider graduate programs, difficulty of course-load and number of credits per semester, if you had a double major / minor, if you were in an honors program and if you completed an honors thesis.

So I got an email yesterday from Jennifer Mailey answering some questions I had. She said that they notify by email the first or second week of January. Do they just say that and they really call people?

They will make phone calls to accepted students a few days before they send out emails to everyone. Historically, phone calls occur the first Monday in January, but January 2 is a staff holiday this year, so the calls will probably be later that week. The phone call is a courtesy; you don't have to make a decision on the phone and if you miss it, you don't lose your spot or anything.

So phone calls will go out the first week in January? Anytime from the 3rd to the 6th?

I have an interview elsewhere but this is my dream school.

Does anyone know if I send over my fall transcript now, would the committee take it into consideration? I know the winter break already started and when people are back to office the decisions are probably already made; but I finished all the pre-requisites and did well in the fall, so I would love to send over the transcript if it would help. Plus it would boost my GPA. Thanks!!

Does anyone know if I send over my fall transcript now, would the committee take it into consideration? I know the winter break already started and when people are back to office the decisions are probably already made; but I finished all the pre-requisites and did well in the fall, so I would love to send over the transcript if it would help. Plus it would boost my GPA. Thanks!!
I emailed them asking if I could because I did really well this fall too, but she said they don't accept them unless you are accepted or waitlisted :/

I emailed them asking if I could because I did really well this fall too, but she said they don't accept them unless you are accepted or waitlisted :/

Thank you for checking with them! I guess then we will know in two weeks if we still need to send the fall transcript or not at all...

Just hope for the best!!! Good luck!!!

Thank you for checking with them! I guess then we will know in two weeks if we still need to send the fall transcript or not at all...

Just hope for the best!!! Good luck!!!
Thank you, you too! Praying for that phone call next week!

I'm sitting on pins and needles. Does anyone know how they notify of interview or rejection for the dual degree program? I was rejected from Penn's (though have a vet school interview on the 20th), and feel I'll be rejected from Cornell's as well...but it'd be nice to know D:

See you guys next week...bum bum bummmm..

I'm sitting on pins and needles. Does anyone know how they notify of interview or rejection for the dual degree program? I was rejected from Penn's (though have a vet school interview on the 20th), and feel I'll be rejected from Cornell's as well...but it'd be nice to know D:

See you guys next week...bum bum bummmm..
I didn't know they did interviews for the dual degree program! Acceptances and rejections for the regular DVM program are theoretically going out sometime next week so I would assume interviews for the dual degree would be around the same time? Maybe?

I didn't know they did interviews for the dual degree program! Acceptances and rejections for the regular DVM program are theoretically going out sometime next week so I would assume interviews for the dual degree would be around the same time? Maybe?

That would be nice!

Yes, they do interview for the PhD portion of the program. You are also required, as part of that interview, to present some of your research to a panel.

That would be nice!

Yes, they do interview for the PhD portion of the program. You are also required, as part of that interview, to present some of your research to a panel.
Oh! Well I wish you the best of luck! :) Rock their socks off!

I made an Instagram for my cat to serve as my distraction :cat:

Reactions: 4 users
I will be away without cell phone service next week o_O does anyone know if we get some sort of follow up email or anything after phone calls are made?

I will be away without cell phone service next week o_O does anyone know if we get some sort of follow up email or anything after phone calls are made?
As far as I understand, you'll get an email/snail mail too and the phone call for acceptances is just a courtesy.

Reactions: 2 users
So we think acceptance will go out on Tuesday? When do rejections/waitlist tend to go out?

So we think acceptance will go out on Tuesday? When do rejections/waitlist tend to go out?

based on last year, rejections/waitlists will be updated via the portal a couple days after the acceptance calls go out.

Everyone will be getting an email next week. Phone calls go out to accepted students a couple days before the emails as a courtesy. Emails are sent to everyone (accepted, denied, waitlisted) on the same day.

Do we know if anyone is has been called today?? I was wondering if it'll happen today still or if they'll wait until tomorrow

Do we know if anyone is has been called today?? I was wondering if it'll happen today still or if they'll wait until tomorrow

Probably tomorrow I think theyre closed today

Last edited:
Good luck everyone! The week is finally here. Does anybody know if we should expect to see a change in the document tracking site before the phone calls/emails?

Good luck everyone! The week is finally here. Does anybody know if we should expect to see a change in the document tracking site before the phone calls/emails?

Is it just me being psycho or did the "enrollment deposit" part of the tracking page just recently appear? I swear that part didn't used to be there.

Is it just me being psycho or did the "enrollment deposit" part of the tracking page just recently appear? I swear that part didn't used to be there.
I don't know if it was there before. I see it now, though.