Cooled RF cannula

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bedrock

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
For those of you who do cooled RF, are there just the 10cm length cannulae?

I have a morbidly obese patient who needed a 7 inch needle to do L4-L5,L5-S1 facet injections. I’ve done this twice and both times they had 80% relief for 6 weeks.

Patient needs RFA , but no way can I get there with a traditional RF needle. Thinking of sending the patient to local university for cooled RFA, but unless cooled RFA can come in a 15cm cannula, I don’t think it will reach. Even the 15cm, direct perpendicular approach would be pushing it.

Members don't see this ad.

For those of you who do cooled RF, are there just the 10cm length cannulae?

I have a morbidly obese patient who needed a 7 inch needle to do L4-L5,L5-S1 facet injections. I’ve done this twice and both times they had 80% relief for 6 weeks.

Patient needs RFA , but no way can I get there with a traditional RF needle. Thinking of sending the patient to local university for cooled RFA, but unless cooled RFA can come in a 15cm cannula, I don’t think it will reach. Even the 15cm, direct perpendicular approach would be pushing it.
They make 15 cm too, but if you needed most of the 7 inch for facets then that’d be a nonstarter.

We had a similar patient, but coolief is not the answer. You can get longer normal RF cannulas, but usually only in higher gauge straight needles.