Controlled Release vs. Immediate Release Dosing

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

canggar

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I'm trying to make the argument that you cannot always (or automatically) assume that the daily-dose of a controlled-release product will equal the daily-dose of an immediate-release product. For example, if a patient takes 100 mg of immediate-release oral drug TID, they wouldn't always go on 300 mg of controlled-release oral drug QD (I understand that usually they will). Can anyone think of a concrete example where X daily immediate-release drug does not equal X daily extended-release drug?
Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi,

I'm trying to make the argument that you cannot always (or automatically) assume that the daily-dose of a controlled-release product will equal the daily-dose of an immediate-release product. For example, if a patient takes 100 mg of immediate-release oral drug TID, they wouldn't always go on 300 mg of controlled-release oral drug QD (I understand that usually they will). Can anyone think of a concrete example where X daily immediate-release drug does not equal X daily extended-release drug?
Thanks!

carvedilol, due to decreased bioavailability of the controlled release product.

This isn't daily IR to daily XL, but it's a similar concept: 90 mg of Prozac Weekly substitutes for 20 mg Prozac QD.

Thanks! Big help guys. I didn't really know what terms to put into Yahoo to search for this sort of thing.