Content Review for Psych/Sociology

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chemdoctor

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone! I have began serious MCAT prep and plan to take the exam as soon as I feel confident. I am having lots of trouble on the Psych/Sociology portion. I took these classes but although I found them easy, I never really retained the information

Anyone know a good book for thorough content review? I heard there was this 100 page document that has all the information, since most of the stuff is rote memorization. Anyone got any advice for me? Please let me know thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Khan Academy videos (and the 100 page notes) are the way to go. You can condense the 100 page document into Anki flashcards and actively review them. Also do a lot of practice passages and actively review your answers. UWorld and ExamKrackers are great for practice.

Reactions: 1 users
Khan Academy videos (and the 100 page notes) are the way to go. You can condense the 100 page document into Anki flashcards and actively review them. Also do a lot of practice passages and actively review your answers. UWorld and ExamKrackers are great for practice.

Do you have a link to the Khan Academy 100 page notes?! I'm gonna look up the videos themselves soon. I love the idea of condensing it into Anki flashcards! I appreciate it!

Members don't see this ad :)
Grill the 300 page document , and pay careful attention to the last 30 or so pages on research methods, etc. It's important to understand how the test writers are conducting experiments

Reactions: 1 user
Do y'all think that plus the Princeton Review set is sufficient? I was considering purchasing the AAMC bundle!

My psych/soc greatly improved when I memorized all of the key terms in the kaplan book. This was the only book I used. Whenever I was unable to understand a concept that was described in it (theories in sociology mostly), I watched the corresponding khan academy video. I think this section is the easiest to improve upon because it involves less interpretation than the other ones and more rote memorization, so reviewing flashcards I had made from the kaplan book worked well for me. I went from this being one of my worst sections during practice tests to getting a 132 on the real deal by just improving my content knowledge. Good luck!

I used TPR for the P/S section and it was great. The passages are pretty good and it is thorough. Get the 300 page document and make notes on it. Khan passages are excellent and they're free.

Khan passages, the 300 page review, and Anki decks were awesome! That, plus the TPR book, were my staple and it went well. I'm not sure I agree on UWorld though. Did you actually find them useful?

Khan passages, the 300 page review, and Anki decks were awesome! That, plus the TPR book, were my staple and it went well. I'm not sure I agree on UWorld though. Did you actually find them useful?

I didn't use UWorld but i heard good things from people who used it.

Reactions: 1 user
I didn't use UWorld but i heard good things from people who used it.

I think UWorld has an amazing platform and it is well laid out. But once you get by the beautiful graphics, I found in all honesty it lacked in realism. I didn't find it to be as helpful as most other things I used, especially in P/S. For P/S, Khan is the best of everything I used.

My psych/soc greatly improved when I memorized all of the key terms in the kaplan book. This was the only book I used. Whenever I was unable to understand a concept that was described in it (theories in sociology mostly), I watched the corresponding khan academy video. I think this section is the easiest to improve upon because it involves less interpretation than the other ones and more rote memorization, so reviewing flashcards I had made from the kaplan book worked well for me. I went from this being one of my worst sections during practice tests to getting a 132 on the real deal by just improving my content knowledge. Good luck!
By key terms do you mean all the bolded words in the kaplan book?