Contacting your #1

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Pooh & Annie

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm looking at some forums and noticing that a lot of people are emailing or writing to their top choices and letting the programs know it. I sent out thank yous and pretty much told everyone how I liked the programs, but I never really thought of sending a letter out later to say "I'm ranking you #1." I know there are no rules against this or anything, but it just seems kind of strange, almost needy. If it's what everyone does, and is important to do, I'll definitely do it. Are other people doing that?

Members don't see this ad.

I told my top program that I would be ranking them #1 in person, and I had someone from my school call the PD to back it up. I don't think you have to tell a program they're your #1, but if you do, only tell ONE program.

Members don't see this ad :)
Pooh & Annie said:
..... but it just seems kind of strange, almost needy. .....QUOTE]

That's my concern too....not sure how 'tasteful' it is :oops:

It's not tasteful but it's your future. Do as you wish!

Well keep this in mind as well. Some/Most of the people you are competing against ARE doing it. You don't want to be that guy who simply "liked our program a lot." That's like writing a letter to a program telling them they are in your top 4... translation- you are my #4 choice, because anything better you would/should have worded it differently. PD's are good at reading between the lines, so unless you specify something deliberately, your non-chalance can easily be interpreted as lack of interest. And you don't want your schance at your #1 to be shot down by not sending a letter that you felt "reeked of neediness."

Just my 2 cents.

I have a hard time imagining that telling them something to the effect you would be very happy to match there versus you're my number one will make a bit of difference. If you were in the middle of the list before, I have to imagine that you'll still be in the middle of the list regardless of what you write to them. At most, I bet you could only move your self up a few numbers...maybe. Of course, it should be mentioned that Ive no clue what Im talking about and pretty much just talking out my ass, but what else is new...

aredoubleyou said:
I have a hard time imagining that telling them something to the effect you would be very happy to match there versus you're my number one will make a bit of difference. If you were in the middle of the list before, I have to imagine that you'll still be in the middle of the list regardless of what you write to them. At most, I bet you could only move your self up a few numbers...maybe. Of course, it should be mentioned that Ive no clue what Im talking about and pretty much just talking out my ass, but what else is new...

If its your number one or number two, 'a few numbers' might be all that it takes.

Wouldn't saying a program is your number one choice make it easier for them to rank you lower. They could then rank other applicants higher while knowing that you'll match with them since you ranked them number one. This way they have a better chance of completely filling during the Match...am I correct with this thinking?

WannaBMD said:
Wouldn't saying a program is your number one choice make it easier for them to rank you lower. They could then rank other applicants higher while knowing that you'll match with them since you ranked them number one. This way they have a better chance of completely filling during the Match...am I correct with this thinking?

Well, the goal as a PD is to fill your class by going down as few places as possible on your program's rank list. Obviously this mostly applies to solid programs that are concerned with more than just filling. Think of it as bragging rights amongst the top programs. "We filled our class of 20 this year by only going down to #30." Not only does this make your program appear strong, but over time you can also get a better sense of how many ppl you need to spend the time and effort to interview to assure that your class will fill. Think about it- even looking on this forum, it's clear that some programs hand out interviews by the fistful while others are much more rare birds. This is not a coincidence.

For example, it is my understanding that most top tier programs typically do not drop past #60 to fill a class of 20. Obviously, there is variation from year to year, and with anesthesia increasing in competitiveness, that cutoff number is likely getting smaller and smaller. So to add to Idiopathic's post, this is exactly why potentially improving your ranking by even a few with just a simple letter can make all the difference between falling north or south of that cutoff. Not to mention you don't want to be that guy/gal who gets bumped below the cutoff entirely because someone else effectively communicated their desire to match at that top program... and you didn't :confused:

Would be a shame if you spent all your time and money this interview season just to trip right before the finish line. :D

Good luck, everyone!

The only thing I think is this.

When the committee sits down to evaluate your file, it is nice for them to have a little letter outlining what you liked about the program and telling them why you think you would be a good fit there. If you say "Im ranking you #1" also, so be it, but just an email outlining the other things will be a positive in your file.

would wording it as "top choice" imply that the program is my #1? Or do i actually have to outright say #1? I just feel like i'm breaking some rule by doing the latter.

Leto said:
For example, it is my understanding that most top tier programs typically do not drop past #60 to fill a class of 20.

I would challenge this. For example, BID, B&W, MGH, Columbia, Cornell, Penn, JHU, all interview many of the same people to fill approximately 150 spots. I would imagine that unless they have some crystal ball, many of these programs go 90% of the way down the rank list to match, since their candidates are strong enough to match anywhere. This is why it is important for these programs to only rank people they want, no matter where it is on the list, because they stand a very good chance of matching them.

Members don't see this ad :)
chicamedica said:
would wording it as "top choice" imply that the program is my #1? Or do i actually have to outright say #1? I just feel like i'm breaking some rule by doing the latter.

I think if you say "my top choice" as opposed to "one of my top choices" you are implying #1. But you aren't breaking any rules by saying #1. You are free to volunteer that information as long as you don't ask the program how they are ranking you. I felt comfortable disclosing to my top choice, and thought that it would help since I have no ties to that area (no family, friends, never lived there).

I agree with many of the above. My opinion is that relating to the prog that they are your #1 is mandatory for those progs who are known to or advertise that they "only went down to x..."

There is a reason they can achieve this performance: great location, reputation and knowing pretty well who will be ranking them #1!

This junk only matters for your #1-3 progs. The difference between one spot could be whether you match at your #1 or start falling...

i'm just a little confused by all this. So a program would rather rank all the people who they know for sure will rank them #1 first, instead of ranking the candidates who they feel are the strongest, just to have some bragging rights about filling from their top X on their rank list?

I seriously think the process has to do away with all this note-writing and game-playing. Programs and applicants should just rank who they like best, and chips fall where they may. Nobody has to know how far down the list either party went.

How do you find out if they "only went down to x" spot? I don't remember any PDs offering that info. Even if they did, are you supposed to interpret that as "let us know if you're going to rank us tops"? What the hell?! I thought I was done with the ass-kissing. I guess I have to decide if I'll be comfortable sending off another email to my likely first choice.

rugtrousers said:
I think if you say "my top choice" as opposed to "one of my top choices" you are implying #1. But you aren't breaking any rules by saying #1. You are free to volunteer that information as long as you don't ask the program how they are ranking you. I felt comfortable disclosing to my top choice, and thought that it would help since I have no ties to that area (no family, friends, never lived there).

Programs and applicants are free to communicate during this time. It just isn't binding. And no, you cant ask how they are ranking you, but they are free to offer that info.

"Both applicants and programs may express a high degree of interest in each other and try to influence future ranking decisions in their favor, but must not make statements implying a commitment. It is a material breach of this Agreement for a participant in the Matching Program to make any verbal or written contract for appointment to a concurrent year residency position prior to the Matching Program. In addition, although applicants or programs may volunteer how they plan to rank each other, it is a material breach of this Agreement to request such information."

chicamedica said:
i'm just a little confused by all this. So a program would rather rank all the people who they know for sure will rank them #1 first, instead of ranking the candidates who they feel are the strongest, just to have some bragging rights about filling from their top X on their rank list?

In short, no. All a letter does to a PD is keep your name fresh, so when they are comparing you with other (perhaps equivalent) candidates, they remember who was more interested.

Idiopathic said:
Programs and applicants are free to communicate during this time. It just isn't binding. And no, you cant ask how they are ranking you, but they are free to offer that info.

"Both applicants and programs may express a high degree of interest in each other and try to influence future ranking decisions in their favor, but must not make statements implying a commitment. It is a material breach of this Agreement for a participant in the Matching Program to make any verbal or written contract for appointment to a concurrent year residency position prior to the Matching Program. In addition, although applicants or programs may volunteer how they plan to rank each other, it is a material breach of this Agreement to request such information."

I can see how expressions of interest shouldn't be binding, since people's minds can change at any point. But if it isn't supposed to be binding, how come we're only allowed to send a letter of intent to one program? Doesn't this restriction kind of imply a commitment? This is what I mean by subconsciously feeling wrong about telling a program i'm ranking them #1.

Maybe that is the ethical part rather than legal?

All the best!

chicamedica said:
If it isn't supposed to be binding, how come we're only allowed to send a letter of intent to one program? What if someone changed their mind after sending it?

DrDre' said:
Maybe that is the ethical part rather than legal?

All the best!

Well, say hypothetically that an applicant was going back and forth on his/her top 2 programs, and finally decided on one of the program as #1, and sent a letter of intent. But then, he/she starts going back and forth again, and decides the other program is more to his/her liking. what now?

Are you saying it's unethical at this point to change your mind?

Or is it unethical to send a letter of intent to the other program, even though you honestly changed your mind, and the original program is no longer your #1?

Thus, doesn't this somewhat imply that letters of intent ARE binding, and therefore against the rules?

All the best! ;)

chicamedica said:
I can see how expressions of interest shouldn't be binding, since people's minds can change at any point. But if it isn't supposed to be binding, how come we're only allowed to send a letter of intent to one program? Doesn't this restriction kind of imply a commitment? This is what I mean by subconsciously feeling wrong about telling a program i'm ranking them #1.

We are allowed to tell any program anything we want. They are allowed to tell every applicant that they are "Number 1". You can say anything you want to a program, short of asking where they plan to rank you and asking for a contract.

I think you guys are making way too much of this.

Error: original post probably contained too much detail to be of use to this forum :D

In summary, Good Luck everyone! Match Day Cometh!

Leto said:
However for residency, ppl talk. Everyone knows everyone else in the field, and getting caught in such a simple play could really hurt your job hunting. After the match every year, all the PDs and residency coordinators go to a conference to meet up and discuss the year- what worked, what didn't, etc. Plenty of opportunity for candid discussion.

shenanigans.

Can you tell that I'm on-call in the hospital today? :)

Remember that my statements apply only to the Johns Hopkins program.

At Hopkins, creation of the rank list takes place throughout the interview season based on day-of-interview scores assigned to applicants by faculty interviewers. Because John Ulatowski (chair) and I are the only interviewers who meet most or all applicants, our scores are more heavily weighted.

Yesterday, I assembled a draft rank list based on interview scores. John and I will meet on Thursday to make MINOR adjustments, but these adjustments have nothing to do with feedback we receive from applicants. Two reasons explain the lack of consideration of applicant feedback.

First (and I hate to be cynical), applicant expressions of interest seem only weakly correlated with actual interest. Every year one or more applicant will claim Hopkins as his/her #1 choice only to then match elsewhere despite being ranked in a matchable position.

Second, the match algorithm is based on the principle that programs rank applicants in order of predicted performance/quality and applicants rank programs in order of perceived desirability/quality. It would be against a program's or an applicant's self-interest to assemble a list in any other order.

I'll be happy to answer emails with questions about the program through Feb. 22 (and a statement about our position on your list won't work against you). If you receive an email from me about your position on our list it isn't intended to sway your decision-making, but only to relieve some of the anxiety that is now so evident from reading postings on these forums.

Scott Mittman
Program Director
Johns Hopkins

Interesting. Maybe Dr. Mittman can confirm or refute the existence of this national PD meeting that Leto speaks of.

I could have sworn the PD's or at least the residency coordinators meet up after the match. I've been told by departments that is where he/she went to. Maybe it's a regional thing? Can the mighty Hopkins PD confirm or deny this?

DrRobert said:
Interesting. Maybe Dr. Mittman can confirm or refute the existence of this national PD meeting that Leto speaks of.

SAAC/AAPD meets in September so that couldn't be it. SEA has many program directors as members and meets in June, but I've never participated in any detailed discussions of Match results. Given that the Match is one thing that PDs have in common, the topic will come up in informal conversation at the meeting.

Scott Mittman
Program Director
Johns Hopkins

Pooh & Annie said:
How do you find out if they "only went down to x" spot? I don't remember any PDs offering that info. Even if they did, are you supposed to interpret that as "let us know if you're going to rank us tops"? What the hell?! I thought I was done with the ass-kissing. I guess I have to decide if I'll be comfortable sending off another email to my likely first choice.

I actually asked the chief resident of a "big name program" and was surprised when he told me how far they had gone the previous year just to fill.

smittma1 said:
Can you tell that I'm on-call in the hospital today? :)

Remember that my statements apply only to the Johns Hopkins program.

At Hopkins, creation of the rank list takes place throughout the interview season based on day-of-interview scores assigned to applicants by faculty interviewers. Because John Ulatowski (chair) and I are the only interviewers who meet most or all applicants, our scores are more heavily weighted.

Yesterday, I assembled a draft rank list based on interview scores. John and I will meet on Thursday to make MINOR adjustments, but these adjustments have nothing to do with feedback we receive from applicants. Two reasons explain the lack of consideration of applicant feedback.

First (and I hate to be cynical), applicant expressions of interest seem only weakly correlated with actual interest. Every year one or more applicant will claim Hopkins as his/her #1 choice only to then match elsewhere despite being ranked in a matchable position.

Second, the match algorithm is based on the principle that programs rank applicants in order of predicted performance/quality and applicants rank programs in order of perceived desirability/quality. It would be against a program's or an applicant's self-interest to assemble a list in any other order.

I'll be happy to answer emails with questions about the program through Feb. 22 (and a statement about our position on your list won't work against you). If you receive an email from me about your position on our list it isn't intended to sway your decision-making, but only to relieve some of the anxiety that is now so evident from reading postings on these forums.

Scott Mittman
Program Director
Johns Hopkins

Dr. Mittman, thanks for sharing your philosophy, hearing this actually already relieves some anxiety :thumbup:

chicamedica said:
Dr. Mittman, thanks for sharing your philosophy, hearing this actually already relieves some anxiety :thumbup:
Dr. Mittman,

Since I recently interviewed at your program, if I do not receive an email from you regarding "being ranked" by your program, would you suggest that I ranked Hopkins lower? I wanted to rank Hopkins #1, and I just mailed out my thanks letters today, but obviously you will not receive it in time nor will it effect my status. Would you suggest I go ahead and rank you top and pray that I get an email, or if I don't, that miraculously I match anyway? Or should I rank you lower if I do not get an email?
I remember from our meeting that you are very genuine and want to help, but I believe you may have created a little more anxiety for me! Thanks for your input, though!

sleepwithme said:
Dr. Mittman,

Since I recently interviewed at your program, if I do not receive an email from you regarding "being ranked" by your program, would you suggest that I ranked Hopkins lower? I wanted to rank Hopkins #1, and I just mailed out my thanks letters today, but obviously you will not receive it in time nor will it effect my status. Would you suggest I go ahead and rank you top and pray that I get an email, or if I don't, that miraculously I match anyway? Or should I rank you lower if I do not get an email?
I remember from our meeting that you are very genuine and want to help, but I believe you may have created a little more anxiety for me! Thanks for your input, though!

The only reason you should change a program's position on your list is when they become more/less desireable in your mind. Just look at all the other posts including Mittman's above. (By the way, not the best of form to ask the PD of your favorite program the same question that he just went into detail to explain ;) ). Does not getting an email that brings warm fuzzies from a program make you think that you will receive poorer training than if you had received one? No, of course not. Just rank the list based on where you want to go, not according to where you get an email response from. Imagine ranking such program lower based on your thinking, only to find out you could have matched there if you kept it where it was on your list.

Also, don't freak out about them getting a letter in time that states "you are my number one! Please please let me train there!" It's not as if PDs stay awake at night, contemplating moving an applicant from 90th up to 12th if they receive such a letter. Just take a deep breath and relax...

sleepwithme said:
Dr. Mittman,

geez, can you be any lamer? Man up and rank the programs like you want them and be ready to accept the veredict come March 16.
Part of being a man is having balls to accept what life brings and be ready to deal with it. In other words, stop being a pu**y.

toughlife said:
geez, can you be any lamer? Man up and rank the programs like you want them and be ready to accept the veredict come March 16.
Part of being a man is having balls to accept what life brings and be ready to deal with it. In other words, stop being a pu**y.

:laugh: Hey toughlife, thanks for putting my exact thoughts down so eloquently. Hopefully others will read it and not overanalyze and over-interpret the whole correspondence and matching process.

NoodleIncident said:
:laugh: Hey toughlife, thanks for putting my exact thoughts down so eloquently. Hopefully others will read it and not overanalyze and over-interpret the whole correspondence and matching process.

My pleasure.

toughlife said:
My pleasure.
tough life, u obviously are 5'1 100#'s, hiding behind ur screenname on SDN.
if you're wondering why i wrote that, i thoguth this is a nice way to speak with a PD without being so forward and nagging, and hopefully get a decent reply back without any strings attached, especially if he knew who i was.
as for your reply, it reinforces the fact that as small % of people in the medical profession are nerds/losers/no-lifers that spend half their time feeding their ego's by talking smack online with no reparations.
You fall in the category of F.A.M.E., and if you still don't get it, Toughlife, check out A.I's tat on his back. and if you dont know who A.I. is, please change your name to "Myparents.have.left.me.a.lot.of.money.i.dont.know.anything.about.toughlife"

toughlife said:
My pleasure.
if you're wondering why i wrote that, i thoguth this is a nice way to speak with a PD without being so forward and nagging, and hopefully get a decent reply back without any strings attached, especially if he knew who i was.
as for your reply, it reinforces the fact that as small % of people in the medical profession are nerds/losers/no-lifers that spend half their time feeding their ego's by talking smack online with no reparations.
You fall in the category of F.A.M.E., and if you still don't get it, Toughlife, check out A.I's tat on his back. and if you dont know who A.I. is, please change your name to "Myparents.have.left.me.a.lot.of.money.i.dont.know.anything.about.toughlife"
Sorry you had to read this, Dr. Mittman.

sleepwithme said:

:laugh: Dude, I am trying to teach you to be a man. Don't go around begging people like that. If they like you they will let you know one way or another. The last thing you want to do is appear desperate. It makes you look weak.

Sorry if I offended you but I think you needed to realize you have much more to offer and if hopkins doesn't send any love your way, then be ready to go to another place where you will be liked and appreciated. That's all.

sleepwithme said:
Sorry you had to read this, Dr. Mittman.

That was onje of the funniest posts Ive read for a long time...sorry dude, not trying to be an ass...it was just really funny. The best part was: "Sorry you had to read this, Dr. Mittman" :laugh:

BTW, what is FAME and AI?

aredoubleyou said:
That was onje of the funniest posts Ive read for a long time...sorry dude, not trying to be an ass...it was just really funny. The best part was: "Sorry you had to read this, Dr. Mittman" :laugh:

BTW, what is FAME and AI?

Funny to see how people's true personality comes out under pressure. All I hope is to get strong-willed colleagues and not wusses.

I'll try to bring this post full-circle back to it's original purpose. You know, it's been really amusing to watch all of the "secret messages" aimed at specific PDs known to troll the forums, some coded and some not. I guess this parallels the growing popularity of this forum; I've gone on atleast 3 interviews this year where the interviewer either mentioned these forums or quickly minimized there SDN screen when I entered the room.

I know it's debatable whether contacting a program is really worthwhile and I know the algorhythm is based on a system where programs and candidates rank independent of letters, emails, postcards, thankyous, etc., however I have do disagree with the argument that they don't influence rank order from either party's perspective. There is a component to the match that goes far beyone board scores, clerkship grades, and even a charming interview. It goes beyond NIH funding, research opportunity and IV league status. It's called happiness and human appeal.

I, personally, want to be at a program that stives to put together a true "team" of residents with multiple personalities and mixed backgrounds. The one thing that needs to be common amongst everyone is the desire to work together to provide exemplary patient care. My rank list has absolutely been influenced by feedback that I have received from individual programs. I tend to be drawn to the places that have expressed interest in having me work at their insitution. I do realize that I am not a limited commodity and could easily be replaced by number 25, 26, or 27 on the list, but it feels good to know someone is interested in training me enough to send me an email or letter acknowledging my existance. I would like to believe that most PDs feel the same way. There will always be those numbers-oriented people who could care less what applicants say or write on paper, but they are definately in the minority.

Bottom line...I'll keep sending my thankyou letter, handwritten and individualized, even if some say they really don't matter.

Just some incite on my experience thus far. Several PD's that I have spoken with claimed a thank you letter may in fact boost your name on their list one or two spots. I am not sure how far your name gets boosted for threads to PD's on SDN? If someone has some info on that let me know. However, other PD's simply do not care and ask the applicants at the interview not to bother. Personally I sent zero thank you notes out to programs and I know in the end this will not hurt my chances to match at my top choices. The show comes from the interview and not from Hallmark. I knew when I walked out the door where I would end up on their rank list and all of this debating about ranking, thank you letters and second looks is a waste of time. Unless you are going back to the residency program to check out local bars, clubs, and housing possibilities I would suggest you save your money because an OR is an OR.

Since so many PD's read this forum; I would like to take this opportunity to thank all of the programs I interviewed at and I want them to know you are all my number one choice so please do the same for me!!!

sail00 said:
Just some incite on my experience thus far. Several PD's that I have spoken with claimed a thank you letter may in fact boost your name on their list one or two spots. I am not sure how far your name gets boosted for threads to PD's on SDN? If someone has some info on that let me know. However, other PD's simply do not care and ask the applicants at the interview not to bother. Personally I sent zero thank you notes out to programs and I know in the end this will not hurt my chances to match at my top choices. The show comes from the interview and not from Hallmark. I knew when I walked out the door where I would end up on their rank list and all of this debating about ranking, thank you letters and second looks is a waste of time. Unless you are going back to the residency program to check out local bars, clubs, and housing possibilities I would suggest you save your money because an OR is an OR.

Since so many PD's read this forum; I would like to take this opportunity to thank all of the programs I interviewed at and I want them to know you are all my number one choice so please do the same for me!!!

Well i think a lot of people's anxiety comes from hearing just what you heard from PD's (worded in a negative way), that often applicants who were interested in the program, but did not communicate that interest, ended up not matching, even tho the program liked the applicant too (though I thought this reflected something that shouldnot have happened had both parties ranked each other according to their preference). so there isn't a reason to be so judgemental of those of us who are concerned about letting our favorite program(s) know that we indeed really want to match there.

As for the utility of 2nd looks, i think it's stupid to do one for the purpose of going on a second tour (i.e. to check out the OR). I also think checking out the clubs,bars, and housing possibilities is not a reason to waste a program's time with scheduling a second look--you can do that on your own if u need to find out. Someone spending a day in the OR w/ a resident during a second look, is not, imo, to check out the facilities, but rather to get a better idea of the social dynamics, between resident and faculty, between resident and resident, between anesthesia and surgery, between nursing and anesthesia (and nursing and surgery). This is something u can rarely get a feel for during interview day (and if u do ask about it, the answers u get are all hearsay to you).

It's also to get a better idea of teaching style, expectations held of residents, and a chance to chat more with residents and ask more questions. I personally also had to meet with research people at one place, cause i had some significant questions about it that would make or break my decision, and didn't have the opportunity to meet them and ask during my interview day.

sail00 said:

Since so many PD's read this forum; I would like to take this opportunity to thank all of the programs I interviewed at and I want them to know you are all my number one choice :laugh: so please do the same for me!!!

that's funny.

sleepwithme said:
Dr. Mittman,

Wow, I haven't heard groveling like THAT in a while! That is some really good ****! I can't help but ask, are you trying to seduce the good PD with your oh, so sexy screen name? :laugh: I have to say, it's a pretty weak play on your part. Notice he didn't honor you with a response....

Jack ass!! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

I agree with toughlife. Be a man! Or if you are a woman, be a man just the same.

Also, do us all a favor and stop polluting SDN with this self-serving diarrhea.

gasguy06 said:
Wow, I haven't heard groveling like THAT in a while! That is some really good ****! I can't help but ask, are you trying to seduce the good PD with your oh, so sexy screen name? :laugh: I have to say, it's a pretty weak play on your part. Notice he didn't honor you with a response....

Jack ass!! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

I agree with toughlife. Be a man! Or if you are a woman, be a man just the same.

Also, do us all a favor and stop polluting SDN with this self-serving diarrhea.

notice i never called ur mother back or paid child support for you, son?

BUMP. So what does everyone think? And if it's suggested to contact our number 1, what would be a good time to do it? Also, I know it is not a good thing to tell multiple programs they are at the top, but why is it ok for many programs (mayo for instance) to routinely do it to us?