Contacting PT clinics?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Souzou

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I want to intern or volunteer at a PT clinic over the summer. I have found multiple clinics near my city, however none of them say they are looking for volunteers or interns. I was wondering if it would be appropriate to contact these clinics by phone or email and inquire about volunteer/intern opportunities? Also, is there even a such thing as PT 'interns' or are most of them just PT aides? Any advice is appreciated :)

Members don't see this ad.

Well, they usually don't post on their website if they're looking for volunteers. Most of the time, you have to actually directly contact the PT clinic/hospital where you would like to volunteer/shadow. Calling them is the best choice, since they can easily forget or just delete your e-mail.

You're not technically an "aide" or "intern" if you're just volunteering or shadowing. Just ask them if they're accepting any volunteers.

Yeah just call them and ask :) That's what I did last summer. Everyone I talked to was really nice.

From what I've seen, you're an observer/volunteer if you're not getting paid, an aide/tech if you are getting paid, and an intern when you are doing clinicals in PT school.

I agree with calling- working in an office, I see how many emails I get a day (and all I do is sit at a desk!) let alone if I were up and out doing things. Emails can get ignored easily, a ringing telephone does not.

Call and say you are interested in shadowing/if they accept observers/volunteers at their clinic/hospital/etc to fulfill your requirements to apply to PT school.

Everyone I spoke to was very familiar with these requirements and all welcomed me aboard. I had 2 good experiences out of the 3 that I did. Not bad ;)