Contacting Professors

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Marissa4usa

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
To those who are in gradschool: When have you started contacting professors?
Did you try to make the email quick and painless or did you elaborate on same things? Have you just asked them whether they are going to take new students in the upcoming fall or did you tell them about your research interest and how you think they match with yours?
If you had specific concerns, i.e. explaining your low GRE scores, did you do that in the first Email or did you do in a second email? On the one hand I don't want to be rude by asking all these questions in the first email but on the other hand a professor might have better things to do than responding to numerous emails.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Did you try to make the email quick and painless or did you elaborate on same things? Have you just asked them whether they are going to take new students in the upcoming fall or did you tell them about your research interest and how you think they match with yours?
If you had specific concerns, i.e. explaining your low GRE scores, did you do that in the first Email or did you do in a second email? On the one hand I don't want to be rude by asking all these questions in the first email but on the other hand a professor might have better things to do than responding to numerous emails.

Thanks!

Marissa4usa, I was looking up the same stuff and found some useful threads
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=471625
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=438896
If that link does not work, try searching for "Contacting professors".
If you can get your hands on "Insider's Guide to Graduate Programs in Clinical and Counseling Psychology", it has some very useful tips.
Hope that helps.

Thanks!

1. Never attempt to explain away your deficiencies. Focus on why you belong there.

2. If your GRE's are low and of a concern, ask if they use GRE cut-offs and if historically your scores would be competitive.

3. Do include your GRE and GPA at the bottom of your email.

4. Do ask thoughtful and insightful questions that require a response. This is your chance to make a first impression, be a little impetuous and inquisitive. Just don't be boorish or rude.

It is not improper to ask if they are planning on taking students.

Is is not improper to see if your research interests match with theirs and the future direction of their lab.

Be concise, confident, and inquisitive. Don't waste time with a lot of fluff, but do differentiate and sell yourself to them. Ask if they will be going to a convention that you are planning to go to, ask if you can talk to them after any presentations they might be giving, or if visits prior to applying are encouraged. This is YOUR future, don't be afraid to take a little initiative.

I visited schools and professors prior to applying. In one case it prevented me from making a big mistake, in another two I was granted interviews, so it pays off if you have some favorites.

Mark

Members don't see this ad :)
i agree with everything mark said, except maybe asking about GRE cutoffs, since that can usually be found on the program website. also, i definitely think it is a good idea it is to attempt to have some face-to-face contact with the professor (to the extent that it is possible) before the application deadline. if you can go to a conference you might be able to see several of them in one setting, if you live near a school you could attempt to get an appointment, if you have friends near a school you could take a little vacation...you get the idea. i mean, don't go broke trying to do this, but if it is at all convenient i would go for it with the professors you really, really want to work with.

I'd second this. I met the professors I interviewed with at the APA conference. They didn't remember me at all by the time I got to the interview, but I reminded them that they met me and that seemed to impress them, that I'd seek them out like that.

I'd second this. I met the professors I interviewed with at the APA conference. They didn't remember me at all by the time I got to the interview, but I reminded them that they met me and that seemed to impress them, that I'd seek them out like that.

The question being then - what did you say to them at the conference?