Contacting PP re preferred fellowship

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rararadiology

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a current MS4 going into diagnostic radiology and at the moment plan to work in PP in Texas (born and raised). My question is: does anyone have experience contacting PP they're interested in early in residency to express interest and find out what kind of fellowship they need for their practice? I heard about this from a few residents on the interview trail, but would love to hear more opinions/experience/advice on the subject.

I have many interests within radiology (mammo, msk, neuro, light IR) so would be flexible in my fellowship choice, but I would not do a fellowship in a subject I despise just to get the PP position.

Thanks in advance!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad.

From what successful fellows have told me, the best way to get to know a PP group is moonlighting for them, if they offer moonlighting (+ it's $ for you). You want to do the reading studies kind of moonlighting, not the babysitting the scanner kind.

If you like the group and they like you, then you can start asking the senior partners if they think there will be positions available and what they would suggest as next steps.

If the fellowship you're interested in has a relatively early match (e.g. MSK), it might be tricky to fit moonlighting in before applications. Another strategy would be to just line yourself up to do a fellowship that's more marketable in PP (and that you like)... and then moonlight in R3 (or R4) to make the connections. You could offer the group that you'll adjust your minifellowship to their needs.

Reactions: 1 user
If there is a specific practice where you would like to work (your hometown, you have friends in the group or at the hospital, etc.), it would be wise to contact the group early (no earlier than second year). Remember that staffing needs for a group are fluid, and what might look like a need for the group when you are in year two might not be the case three years later.

If you know that you want to work in Dallas, otoh, where there are hundreds of rads, just do a fellowship in the area you like best.

When in doubt, do the fellowship in the subspecialty that you like the best.