Contacting dental schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

balance

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is it a good idea to call or email dental schools to let them know that you are really interested in their school and you want to see if they would grant you an interview?

Has anyone contact any of the dental schools about this? If so, what you asked them?

Do you guys think this will help or hurt the process?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

balance said:
Is it a good idea to call or email dental schools to let them know that you are really interested in their school and you want to see if they would grant you an interview?

Has anyone contact any of the dental schools about this? If so, what you asked them?

Do you guys think this will help or hurt the process?

Thanks

I don't see how it could hurt, but how much it matters probably depends on the school. I'm pretty sure the fact that I called and visited UOP early on helped make sure I got noticed. I was lucky to visit the same week my AADSAS app got to them, so they actually knew who I was.

When I tried something similar with UCSF, they couldn't kick me to the curb fast enough. Which was pretty ironic, because it was one of the assistant deans at UCSF that advised me on this strategy to help adcoms put a face to a name prior to interviews.

Crazy_sherm,

How did you ask for visit? Did UOP have dental school tours going on when you called them? Can you call any school and ask that you want to visit their dental school? Please advise.

Thanks

crazy_sherm said:
I don't see how it could hurt, but how much it matters probably depends on the school. I'm pretty sure the fact that I called and visited UOP early on helped make sure I got noticed. I was lucky to visit the same week my AADSAS app got to them, so they actually knew who I was.

When I tried something similar with UCSF, they couldn't kick me to the curb fast enough. Which was pretty ironic, because it was one of the assistant deans at UCSF that advised me on this strategy to help adcoms put a face to a name prior to interviews.

Members don't see this ad :)
I called UAB and asked about my application status and while on the phone they gave me an interview :). I was in the first group of the year. Moral of the story is calling never hurts.

balance said:
Crazy_sherm,

How did you ask for visit? Did UOP have dental school tours going on when you called them? Can you call any school and ask that you want to visit their dental school? Please advise.

Thanks

I live in SF, so it wasn't hard for me to go by the schools. I dropped by UOP around June just after graduation, so most of the students were on break. I just asked where admissions was, walked in, and introduced myself. I sat down with one of the advisors and discussed the application process and what they were looking for. He wrote down my name and stuff and filed it away. I found they kept pretty good tabs on me because whenever I called back, they would reference the information we talked about at the initial meeting. I had wanted to go on a tour that day, but since the school was pretty much on break, he advised I come by again later in the quarter. I went back in Sept when my application had arrived at the schools and had a friend that graduated a couple years before show me around. She also introduced me to more admissions people and I made sure to get their business cards. Everyone was very friendly and helpful at UOP.

I have no clue if this works with other schools. It definitely didn't with UCSF. I got a tour of the school via a D4 friend I had, but no faculty wanted to talk to me. The admissions office was really rude actually and wouldn't even give me a brochure. She just told me to visit the website. I ended up getting one from the dentist I was shadowing.

DrTacoElf said:
I called UAB and asked about my application status and while on the phone they gave me an interview :). I was in the first group of the year. Moral of the story is calling never hurts.

So your interview was over the phone, or did they quiz you prior to your arrival at the school?