Consults- Memorable/Dismal/Ridiculous/Unique

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Do you guys out in the community just accept these silly consults or give some push back? I'm happy to help. But at some point I'm not going to interrupt my life for something clearly ridiculous or clearly an outpatient issue.

Members don't see this ad.

Do you guys out in the community just accept these silly consults or give some push back? I'm happy to help. But at some point I'm not going to interrupt my life for something clearly ridiculous or clearly an outpatient issue.
Most of the time I just say I’ll see it and drop a note in the morning if it’s after hours. Trying to avoid it from the ED just ends up with a consult order the next day from the hospitalist. And I mean it is an easy couple of RVUs and sign off. Out in the community I am not coming in or sending the resident in (they do a rotation with us) unless I need to operate that night and that is as expected.

Things that are truly not appropriate as in needs someone else I will redirect them to the appropriate service. Because I take wound care call, which is really just someone technically needs to be on call for our outpatient wound care patients, I will get called sometimes for like sacral decubs which are one of the 2 things I hated about Gen surg enough to do a fellowship and are also established as Gen surg responsibility at our institution. Or like someone tried to have me see a “cat bite with a rapidly progressive infection on the forearm” and I was like no way call hand because if it is a necrotizing infection of the forearm I don’t think I’m the best person to handle that.

But then there are some things I have done because I got called and I know how to do and I was there and available like the couple of times the ICU has called for a forearm fasciotomy. But I make it clear I am not going to manage it longterm and plastics/hand will need to see - but both of those were transferred downtown where PRS/hand is a resident service inhouse whereas where I am it is private practice only.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
I had a referral for literal gingivitis thus week.

I usually see the patient. I don’t come in at night or over the weekend for BS. I just can’t do that to myself if I’m going to maintain my sanity and not burn out. I offer to see them in the clinic. If it’s BS and the patient is going to actually suffer by not getting more prompt, appropriate treatment I explain why someone else is a better choice. Sometimes that doesn’t even work.

Usually the really dumb stuff is a 5 minute peak at the patient, a note, and then some easy RVUs. Although I actually do hate doing that to patients: adding to their bill for no reason. The biggest issue is I’m usually NOT in the hospital, so I do have to make a special trip to see the crap.

On another note, I almost never get burned by general surgery, but two weeks ago the on call GS admitted a guy who had his oxygen catch fire while smoking. Not that uncommon. But he had facial burns as his primary injury, and also airway burns that they apparently didn’t even think about. Then they called me about 26 hours later when the hospitalist team they had consulted for his litany of other medical comorbidities found out the GS team didn’t actually feel comfortable managing facial burns. They had called the one plastics guy we have in town and he was worried that the facial burns might mean airway burns, and that might be bad and something he couldn’t manage. So they called me. For all of it. I haven’t managed a burn, airway or otherwise, since residency. The good news is he wasn’t already dead, so his airway burns weren’t that bad. Our hospital is absolutely not set up to manage any serious burn injuries. I have no idea what they were thinking. That’s a case where I would rather have been called earlier.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Gen surg so most of what is not operative is still a decent reason to get admitted ND we have hospitalists so I will see them at my leisure. Only exceptions would be when they very definitely need another service which we have available bit that is rare. Usually it is that they need a different service we don't have. If it is emergent enough I will try to be ent, hand surgery, or whatever if I can safely do it (like converting the needle cric to a trach or debriding the upper extremity nec fasc) but if transfer is possible I prefer that.

I got called to evaluate dysphonia on a guy who was trached and sedated and on a ventilator for a massive base of tongue tumor. He was on palliative care.

But he died a couple hours later so I didn’t have to write a note.

Now we’ll never know for sure why he couldn’t speak.

There's a very important lesson to be learned here. If you wait long enough, the problem usually takes care of itself...

Reactions: 5 users
I got called to evaluate dysphonia on a guy who was trached and sedated and on a ventilator for a massive base of tongue tumor. He was on palliative care.

You missed out on a critical care level consult!

Reactions: 2 users
Same. If it's after hours, I do my best to triage the issue over the phone and get the ED to do whatever workup I think is appropriate. 90+% of the time, it's telling them what imaging I want, reviewing it with them by phone, and reassuring them that there's nothing catastrophic. Usually, we can get the patient in to see someone in clinic the next day. Or at the very least, we do a follow-up call with them.

If the ED thinks they need admission (and they're usually good judges of that after 5+ hours of observation), it's usually not an issue to have the hospitalist or pulmonolgy service admit them overnight. We have no staff in-house overnight and I'm not dragging myself, my PAs, or the fellows in at 2AM to tuck someone in for the night if it's not an emergency.

Reactions: 4 users

I hope this patient was able to get in a few speech therapy sessions before he passed.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user
I love these - send my PA to go see it, stop up and say hi and give the patient my card, easy money. But my office is in the hospital across from the floors so it's a lot less annoying.

I love these - send my PA to go see it, stop up and say hi and give the patient my card, easy money. But my office is in the hospital across from the floors so it's a lot less annoying.
Yeah, I get it in that case. My office is about 15 minutes away from the hospital. And I'm just not interested in the effort to see that sort of garbage. But, maybe I should be :)

Why can’t you see this the next time you’re at the hospital?
Sure, just have the patient stay admitted for days to wait for the next time the surgeon would otherwise normally go to the hospital instead of letting them make an outpatient appointment for their non urgent issue. Sounds like a great use of resources

Members don't see this ad :)
Sure, just have the patient stay admitted for days to wait for the next time the surgeon would otherwise normally go to the hospital instead of letting them make an outpatient appointment for their non urgent issue. Sounds like a great use of resources
I thought this was in reference to patients who were staying inpatient for a few days anyways for other reasons.

Why can’t you see this the next time you’re at the hospital?

I'm an ent. Depending on call and my case load, I may only go to the hospital once a month for "bigger" cases like thyroids.etc. 95% of my cases are done in a surgery center.

My last call I got a consult for “possible volvulus versus ischemic bowel” as seen in CT scan. Thing is, the patient did a bunch of cocaine, had an MI, was pulseless for over 15 minutes and then got pan scanned with the CTA of the brain showing no blood flow to the circle of Willis and the rest of the brain with “concern for brain death”. I’m like “really? Come on guys” the ED just said “we still want the consult “ The admitting Crit Care team had already called the organ donor network……

• Wow
  • Hmm
Reactions: 7 users
My last call I got a consult for “possible volvulus versus ischemic bowel” as seen in CT scan. Thing is, the patient did a bunch of cocaine, had an MI, was pulseless for over 15 minutes and then got pan scanned with the CTA of the brain showing no blood flow to the circle of Willis and the rest of the brain with “concern for brain death”. I’m like “really? Come on guys” the ED just said “we still want the consult “ The admitting Crit Care team had already called the organ donor network……
Thank you for this interesting consult. Patient is critically ill and very complex. No surgery indicated. 99255.

• Haha
Reactions: 11 users
They can untangle his wire while they’re grabbing’ them kidneys. Win-win.

sdnbruh

As ortho chief on my last call...

Mid 50's CKD patient on dialysis w/ PSH of LUE fistula presents with L arm skin blistering, tense compartments, severe pain unrelieved by pain medicine x6 hours, outside hospital ultrasound showing a large fluid collection at the site of the fistula. It was obviously an expanding hematoma. I saw the patient at the same time as the vascular fellow, and he kept repeating this mantra outloud to himself, me and the patient -- "this isn't a vascular problem." He wanted ortho to take it for compartment syndrome. I'm not sure if vascular fellowship broke him or what but he kept repeating that mantra outloud like he was trying to convince himself. So we had the ED get a stat CTA which confirmed there was active extrav from the fistula and he still wasn't willing to call it a vascular emergency and book the OR. Had to call my attending in the early morning and say vascular wants us to take a bleeding fistula with compartment syndrome to the OR, could you please talk with their attending -- vascular took it shortly afterwards and ended up doing fistula ligation, arterial bovine pericardial patch as well as fasciotomies.

That was a weird one.

• Wow
  • Haha
Reactions: 6 users

Mid 50's CKD patient on dialysis w/ PSH of LUE fistula presents with L arm skin blistering, tense compartments, severe pain unrelieved by pain medicine x6 hours, outside hospital ultrasound showing a large fluid collection at the site of the fistula. It was obviously an expanding hematoma. I saw the patient at the same time as the vascular fellow, and he kept repeating this mantra outloud to himself, me and the patient -- "this isn't a vascular problem." He wanted ortho to take it for compartment syndrome. I'm not sure if vascular fellowship broke him or what but he kept repeating that mantra outloud like he was trying to convince himself. So we had the ED get a stat CTA which confirmed there was active extrav from the fistula and he still wasn't willing to call it a vascular emergency and book the OR. Had to call my attending in the early morning and say vascular wants us to take a bleeding fistula with compartment syndrome to the OR, could you please talk with their attending -- vascular took it shortly afterwards and ended up doing fistula ligation, arterial bovine pericardial patch as well as fasciotomies.

That was a weird one.
Wow. On behalf of my specialty, my apologies. 🤦🏼‍♀️

"...but he kept repeating that mantra outloud like he was trying to convince himself."
Just saying it out loud doesn't make it happen bro.

I once declared bankruptcy in the office and if it wasn't for my friend Oscar, he's an accountant, then I would have never been enlightened.

• Haha
Reactions: 5 users

That was a weird one.
Huh, when I was a resident the vascular team at my hospital would call us to do Forearm fasciotomies even after they did their brachial artery revascs. They refused to do them. Their mantra was “we don’t do anything below the elbow.” I literally had the same experience when i was with rounding with the hand fellow who was talking to a vascular attending. The vascular attending repeatly told him “I don’t do anything below the elbow” over and over again.

Huh, when I was a resident the vascular team at my hospital would call us to do Forearm fasciotomies even after they did their brachial artery revascs. They refused to do them. Their mantra was “we don’t do anything below the elbow.” I literally had the same experience when i was with rounding with the hand fellow who was talking to a vascular attending. The vascular attending repeatly told him “I don’t do anything below the elbow” over and over again.
The part of the story that is egregious is ignoring that the problem was caused by a bleeding fistula, not the fasciotomy part. To be fair, while I can do arm fasciotomies in a pinch (and have done so but always have to review it quickly beforehand), I’m not particularly comfortable with extending onto the hand/crossing the carpal tunnel which (for the trainees in the audience) is technically quoted as necessary for a complete fasciotomy of the forearm (but in reality isn’t always needed, depends on the clinical situation) and I definitely do not feel comfortable with hand fasciotomies if they are needed. In addition arm fasciotomies usually need some kind of skin grafting in the longterm because it is pretty rare that the skin will be able to be closed primarily.

So I wouldn’t call foul for upper extremity vascular asking for help with fasciotomies because it isn’t something we are routinely trained to do and many have never done them in training. I have done exactly 3 in my life: once on trauma in gen surg residency with a particularly aggressive attending (everyone else would have called Ortho or PRS), one in vascular fellowship (again, a specific attending), and once as an attending myself because it was an emergency and I was available and PRS/hand was 45 mins away. But then that patient was transferred to the mothership (for other things) and PRS took over.

But a bleeding fistula is clearly squarely in my wheelhouse. The moral of this story (again for the trainees in the audience, not directing this to the person I am quote replying to) is that in the real world it is definitely fine to ask for another specialty to assist you with something as part of a procedure if you aren’t comfortable with it, especially when it is in the best interest of the patient and we should always be willing to help out. But don’t ignore the part of the problem that you are trained to handle.

Last edited:
Reactions: 8 users
I’ve always thought about it like this: if you were the patient, would you rather have your surgeon do something they’re not comfortable doing, or would you rather have them ask someone better equipped for help even though it’s less convenient?

Obviously if there isn’t anyone better equipped, that changes things.

But the point is you’re doing what you’re doing for the sake of the person asleep and utterly helpless in front of you, not for your ego or your paycheck.

Obviously there needs to be a modicum of professionalism. If you’re calling another service in every time you’re in the OR, you probably need to expand your skill set rather than feeling good that no one sleeps while you’re at work. But for technically demanding procedures, especially in emergency settings? Call someone if you’re not comfortable.

Reactions: 7 users
Where I am now ortho claims they aren't comfortable with fasciotomies on the upper extremity either so that is why they won't take care of infection related compartment syndrome and think general surgery should hande it all. Meanwhile general surgery in a lot of places gets zero training on fasciotomy so it becomes this hot potato game and I end up taking a lot of them because I wanted to do ortho so did a lot of ortho rotations where I learned how to do fasciotomies and then in residency we rotated with ortho and plastics so did some there too. By some I mean under 5 but now I am the expert I guess.

• Wow
The part of the story that is egregious is ignoring that the problem was caused by a bleeding fistula, not the fasciotomy part. To be fair, while I can do arm fasciotomies in a pinch (and have done so but always have to review it quickly beforehand), I’m not particularly comfortable with extending onto the hand/crossing the carpal tunnel which (for the trainees in the audience) is technically quoted as necessary for a complete fasciotomy of the forearm (but in reality isn’t always needed, depends on the clinical situation) and I definitely do not feel comfortable with hand fasciotomies if they are needed. In addition arm fasciotomies usually need some kind of skin grafting in the longterm because it is pretty rare that the skin will be able to be closed primarily.

So I wouldn’t call foul for upper extremity vascular asking for help with fasciotomies because it isn’t something we are routinely trained to do and many have never done them in training. I have done exactly 3 in my life: once on trauma in gen surg residency with a particularly aggressive attending (everyone else would have called Ortho or PRS), one in vascular fellowship (again, a specific attending), and once as an attending myself because it was an emergency and I was available and PRS/hand was 45 mins away. But then that patient was transferred to the mothership (for other things) and PRS took over.

But a bleeding fistula is clearly squarely in my wheelhouse. The moral of this story (again for the trainees in the audience, not directing this to the person I am quote replying to) is that in the real world it is definitely fine to ask for another specialty to assist you with something as part of a procedure if you aren’t comfortable with it, especially when it is in the best interest of the patient and we should always be willing to help out. But don’t ignore the part of the problem that you are trained to handle.
This is exactly it. We told them and documented we deferred to them for the bleeding fistula but were available for intraop assistance with fasciotomies if needed. The very capable vascular surgery attending did not call us for assistance with this, although I suspect he would have if they extended distally into the forearm, carpal tunnel or hand.

Where I am now ortho claims they aren't comfortable with fasciotomies on the upper extremity either so that is why they won't take care of infection related compartment syndrome and think general surgery should hande it all. Meanwhile general surgery in a lot of places gets zero training on fasciotomy so it becomes this hot potato game and I end up taking a lot of them because I wanted to do ortho so did a lot of ortho rotations where I learned how to do fasciotomies and then in residency we rotated with ortho and plastics so did some there too. By some I mean under 5 but now I am the expert I guess.
That's BS lol. You should have a department to department talk about that. Being able to perform fasciotomies of the upper & lower limb is literally one of the core competencies required to graduate from an orthopaedic surgery residency. Maybe ask them if they want to be residents forever, or they can come to your OR to learn how to do fasciotomies so they can graduate. 😂

https://www.acgme.org/Portals/0/PDF...pplementalGuide.pdf?ver=2021-05-14-112915-843

Surgery wars are just so fun to deal with. Recently called ortho for a large superinfected Morel Lavallee who said surgery owned soft tissue abscess. Surgery said they had no idea what an ML lesion was but ended up taking care of it. Patient had a good outcome but mixed feelings having someone operate not being familiar with the condition, though based on my knowledge seemed appropriate enough for gen surg

I’m in the same boat. My N=3 for forearm fasciotomies after revasc. And all three times it was bc whoever was on hand call was already tied up in another case. So what did we do? We Googled it, watched a video on YouTube and then did it. It’s the carpal tunnel release part into the hand that we have no training in. So even now in practice, having already done a handful of cold arms; if there was ever a question, I’m calling someone who does this for a living.

I’m in the same boat. My N=3 for forearm fasciotomies after revasc. And all three times it was bc whoever was on hand call was already tied up in another case. So what did we do? We Googled it, watched a video on YouTube and then did it. It’s the carpal tunnel release part into the hand that we have no training in. So even now in practice, having already done a handful of cold arms; if there was ever a question, I’m calling someone who does this for a living.
Yes. And I will also add that I don’t make a secret of it to my trainees when I’m looking something up on the fly for an emergency consult. I think some people are embarrassed or want trainees to think they are all knowing. But I think we all have stuff that we encounter IRL for the first time or close to the first time as attendings and sometimes there isn’t an attendier attending to ask. Thank goodness for the internet.

Surgery wars are just so fun to deal with. Recently called ortho for a large superinfected Morel Lavallee who said surgery owned soft tissue abscess. Surgery said they had no idea what an ML lesion was but ended up taking care of it. Patient had a good outcome but mixed feelings having someone operate not being familiar with the condition, though based on my knowledge seemed appropriate enough for gen surg
Where I trained, typically trauma took the thorax/abdominal ones and ortho mostly managed the ones associated with extremity fracture, but got PRS on board to take over pretty quickly. But totally possible not to see one of these in gen surg residency especially if your home program didn’t have trauma and you rotated away for it.

Where I trained, typically trauma took the thorax/abdominal ones and ortho mostly managed the ones associated with extremity fracture, but got PRS on board to take over pretty quickly. But totally possible not to see one of these in gen surg residency especially if your home program didn’t have trauma and you rotated away for it.

It was an extrem. Even though we're speaking anonymously I should give ortho due credit, they were exceptionally pleasant and explicitly offered to take the case despite a full schedule if surgery refused

That's BS lol. You should have a department to department talk about that. Being able to perform fasciotomies of the upper & lower limb is literally one of the core competencies required to graduate from an orthopaedic surgery residency. Maybe ask them if they want to be residents forever, or they can come to your OR to learn how to do fasciotomies so they can graduate. 😂

https://www.acgme.org/Portals/0/PDF...pplementalGuide.pdf?ver=2021-05-14-112915-843
There was an official discussion where they all claimed they didn't know how to deal with nec fasc so they wouldn't get involved even though a lot of the ones we get just need fasciotomies plus or minus debridement of dead muscle depending on how long the patient sat in the hospital before they called me after gen surg and ortho on call both said no. The transfer to higher level of care sounds good until you realize even ED to ED transfer for this is likely to take over 6 hours to possibly days. What kills me is that almost every ortho refuses to even see these patients. Some of my gen surg colleagues will pull the same crap but most will at least examine the patient before saying the patient needs higher level of care. Have even had ortho refuse to help with a patient whose hip joint I just exposed by debridement (they said just wash it out well and leave a drain under the skin I was able to cover the area with) and refuse to help with amputation when one had everything from the knee down die off. Finally got one older dude who had done AKA many years ago who agreed to come do it with me (I have no privileges for amputation and had never seen or helped with an above knee one before this but together we pulled off a good job and she was able to get fitted for a prosthesis and walk into my clinic a year later to show off and say thanks).

• Wow
I had to look that up too. Seems like a problem I have perhaps seen before and just never learned that name.

Yes. And I will also add that I don’t make a secret of it to my trainees when I’m looking something up on the fly for an emergency consult. I think some people are embarrassed or want trainees to think they are all knowing. But I think we all have stuff that we encounter IRL for the first time or close to the first time as attendings and sometimes there isn’t an attendier attending to ask. Thank goodness for the internet.
I helped with a iliac crest osteocutaneous flap once as an intern. The attending was rather fresh from fellowship and she had photocopied the technique from a textbook and taped it to the OR wall so she could consult it as needed. I liked it because it modeled good behavior for when doing something one has not done a lot of and it also showed me what we were going to do (I think I was assigned to the case that morning) so I could try to be more helpful. Would probably be nice for me to tape up pictures of the forearm anatomy for when I am doing the nec fasc cases to remind me of the details of anatomy that I only recall in a vague sense so then I spend time thinking hmm, is this something I should try harder to save or what.

I helped with a iliac crest osteocutaneous flap once as an intern. The attending was rather fresh from fellowship and she had photocopied the technique from a textbook and taped it to the OR wall so she could consult it as needed. I liked it because it modeled good behavior for when doing something one has not done a lot of and it also showed me what we were going to do (I think I was assigned to the case that morning) so I could try to be more helpful. Would probably be nice for me to tape up pictures of the forearm anatomy for when I am doing the nec fasc cases to remind me of the details of anatomy that I only recall in a vague sense so then I spend time thinking hmm, is this something I should try harder to save or what.
We had an attending none of the support staff liked (including a lot of the residents) who taped up an operative plan for a BKA. The nurses reported him with a PSN for "not knowing how to operate" and accused him of "operating from a cookbook." I was the resident on the case and thought it was very conscientious of him to have his operative plan written out, and the case went well.

But when you aren't liked, you aren't liked... always funny when things that are done are perceived differently by the nurses and doctors in the same room.

We had an attending none of the support staff liked (including a lot of the residents) who taped up an operative plan for a BKA. The nurses reported him with a PSN for "not knowing how to operate" and accused him of "operating from a cookbook." I was the resident on the case and thought it was very conscientious of him to have his operative plan written out, and the case went well.

But when you aren't liked, you aren't liked... always funny when things that are done are perceived differently by the nurses and doctors in the same room.
That’s a damn shame. Those nurses clearly have no idea that the best surgeons review operative plans and surgical atlases before cases all the time. Tsk.

Reactions: 6 users

Whenever I proctor new docs (like fresh out of residency or fellowship) I have to defend them to the nurses and techs for being slow. I recognize that if something happens to me they figure it was a hard case or something special about the patient because they know I am good, while if something bad happens for the newbies they get a long lasting rep for being bad.

As a non-surgeon it’s kind of scary you guys are expected to operate when you have little experience in that particular procedure and are pretty much just winging it..

As a non-surgeon it’s kind of scary you guys are expected to operate when you have little experience in that particular procedure and are pretty much just winging it..
Please don’t misinterpret what we are saying here. Most of what we are discussing is not having seen a specific thing (because it is relatively rare) but the techniques were are trained in are sufficient to manage it - like the Morel-Lavallée lesion that was mentioned. This is a closed degloving injury and the management of soft tissue injuries overall is something the respective services are well versed in; not having seen an ML lesion before doesn’t mean someone is not equipped to handle it.

Surgery training teaches you principals and techniques - but even as long as the training is, there is no way you can see every single permutation of pathology in your field within that time. It is one of the reasons I always tell my residents that surgery is a team sport, especially in your first few years in practice. I think you will find pretty much every surgeon here has called a senior partner or someone who trained them at some point to discuss a case. While every specialty has its “bread and butter,” there are always the unusual presentations of surgical disease that present specific challenges.

Reactions: 11 users
Please don’t misinterpret what we are saying here. Most of what we are discussing is not having seen a specific thing (because it is relatively rare) but the techniques were are trained in are sufficient to manage it - like the Morel-Lavallée lesion that was mentioned. This is a closed degloving injury and the management of soft tissue injuries overall is something the respective services are well versed in; not having seen an ML lesion before doesn’t mean someone is not equipped to handle it.

Surgery training teaches you principals and techniques - but even as long as the training is, there is no way you can see every single permutation of pathology in your field within that time. It is one of the reasons I always tell my residents that surgery is a team sport, especially in your first few years in practice. I think you will find pretty much every surgeon here has called a senior partner or someone who trained them at some point to discuss a case. While every specialty has its “bread and butter,” there are always the unusual presentations of surgical disease that present specific challenges.
That makes sense thanks for the insight interesting to read about

Reminds me of a case I did as a fairly new thoracic attending. Patient had a prior gastric fundoplication and HH repair that recurred with pregnancy. For whatever reason, shortly after giving birth, her herniated fundoplication perforated and was draining into her left pleural space. A chest tube was helping divert the gastric contents, but she was clearly septic and needed an operation.

General surgery was called, who did the original operation, and refused to operate on her saying this was a thoracic issue. There was back-and-forth between the general surgeon and my senior partner who'd gotten the consult and didn't do GI surgery routinely. Their compromise was to wait for our other partner who does most of our upper GI work, but he was out of town. I was flabbergasted.

While I don't do much upper GI surgery either, I wasn't that far out of training and was still very comfortable working in the belly. I also had privileges for anything she might need done. So finally, I stepped in and said I'd take her if general surgery wasn't going to own it. Did an ex-lap, reduced the fundoplication, but actually found a perforation in the body of the stomach and not the wrap itself. It all looked viable, so I closed the hole and slapped some omentum over top. Also did a gastropexy with a G-tube for good measure after fixing the HH again. She did great and was out of the hospital with her new baby in a few days.

It was initially awkward to get in between these two senior surgeons, not really knowing the politics of the place very well. But I couldn't in good conscience let this go on. It also seemed to earn me a fair bit of good will, especially from the ICU docs who initially took care of her and were pleading for something to be done.

Reactions: 8 users
That’s a damn shame. Those nurses clearly have no idea that the best surgeons review operative plans and surgical atlases before cases all the time. Tsk.
Absolutely. I do this routinely for cases, especially if I haven't done a lot of a particular case or it's been a little while. For instance, anytime I get called for an esophageal perforation, I usually review my notes and atlas for an exclusion and diversion with a cervical esophagostomy. Fortunately, I've only had do to that once, but I'm prepared for that kind of disaster case every time.

Reminds me of a case I did as a fairly new thoracic attending. Patient had a prior gastric fundoplication and HH repair that recurred with pregnancy. For whatever reason, shortly after giving birth, her herniated fundoplication perforated and was draining into her left pleural space. A chest tube was helping divert the gastric contents, but she was clearly septic and needed an operation.

General surgery was called, who did the original operation, and refused to operate on her saying this was a thoracic issue. There was back-and-forth between the general surgeon and my senior partner who'd gotten the consult and didn't do GI surgery routinely. Their compromise was to wait for our other partner who does most of our upper GI work, but he was out of town. I was flabbergasted.

While I don't do much upper GI surgery either, I wasn't that far out of training and was still very comfortable working in the belly. I also had privileges for anything she might need done. So finally, I stepped in and said I'd take her if general surgery wasn't going to own it. Did an ex-lap, reduced the fundoplication, but actually found a perforation in the body of the stomach and not the wrap itself. It all looked viable, so I closed the hole and slapped some omentum over top. Also did a gastropexy with a G-tube for good measure after fixing the HH again. She did great and was out of the hospital with her new baby in a few days.

It was initially awkward to get in between these two senior surgeons, not really knowing the politics of the place very well. But I couldn't in good conscience let this go on. It also seemed to earn me a fair bit of good will, especially from the ICU docs who initially took care of her and were pleading for something to be done.
I basically did this case except there was no chest tube present and no one ever considered asking thoracic to do it. I did call thoracic when I could not for the life of me reduce the stomach out of the chest but they were reluctant to get involved. I ended up making the gastric perforation bigger within the chest (from below of course because I wasn't about to open the chest) so I could empty the stomach out at which point I finally got it to fit through the opening in the diaphragm but was left with a question of what to do with the chest that had all that vegetative gastric contents evacuated into it. I washed out from below as best as I could but she ended up needing a VATS later to clean it out some more. Not sure that would have been avoided had they done something at my surgery though.

I just don’t understand saying no when another surgeon calls you asking for assistance. Have I declined ED consults for sacral decubs? Yes, because although I take call for wound care, that is actually for our outpatient wound care patients and it has been determined by consensus in our department of surgery that decubs are covered by gen surg (or this one community PP PRS guy who will do anything) and because I basically did an entire vascular fellowship so as not to have to do those. But if another surgeon called me and was like “there are some vascular structures involved in XYZ, can you assist me?” I would obviously be there to help. Have definitely left my clinic to assist with peeling tumors off of vascular structures and to help with intraop bleeding. Can’t imagine saying “nah, I don’t really think you need me there.”

Reactions: 13 users
By some I mean under 5 but now I am the expert I guess.
Since about 4th year as a general surgery resident I have been the regional expert in emergent crics by nature of having done five. I am not pleased with this designation but have not been out done any place I have physically gone.

• Wow
Since about 4th year as a general surgery resident I have been the regional expert in emergent crics by nature of having done five. I am not pleased with this designation but have not been out done any place I have physically gone.

I'm an ENT and I've only done three. Good /bad for you, I suppose.

I think I only have 2 and then around 6 conversions of a cric placed by er to a trach.