Construct validity

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

INTPThinker

MCAT Goal:39
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone know of some resources so I can teach it to myself? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I needed this information as well......thank you.

What do you want to know about it? Are you designing a test, evaluating research, trying to answer a trivia question?

Quite simply, construct validity is an overall measure of whether or not a measurement instrument measures what it is supposed to measure. It consists of two "sub-validities" (that's not a real word, BTW): convergent validity (think, "coming together") and discriminant validity (think, "where's Waldo?").

Convergent validity measures the extent to which a measure meshes with similar scales. For example, if I'm creating a new depression scale, I would compare it established scales (e.g. BDI-II) to see if it measures depression in a way that is similar to other depression instruments.

Discriminant validity is the extent to which a measure diverges or differs from other tests. For example, I want to be sure my new depression scale measures depressive symptoms while excluding anxiety symptoms (because of comorbidity issues).

There is also nomological validity, but it can involve some high-level math and stats and it probably isn't necessary for most applications unless you're trying to publish a new scale or something (in which case I doubt you would be asking about construct validity:).

For MOST purposes, if you establish both convergent and discriminant validity, you have construct validity. I can be more specific if you like, but you have to ask a more specific question. Good luck!