Consistency within activities

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted1136042

I know we are supposed to show that we've done activities for a long period of time, but what about shadowing? Would it be fine if I shadowed only over the summer after my freshman year for 50 hours, and never shadow again before I apply for medical school? Or would it be more ideal to shadow 25 hours the summer after my freshman year and another 25 during the summer of my sophomore year, assuming I apply during junior year?

Members don't see this ad.

I know we are supposed to show that we've done activities for a long period of time, but what about shadowing? Would it be fine if I shadowed only over the summer after my freshman year for 50 hours, and never shadow again before I apply for medical school? Or would it be more ideal to shadow 25 hours the summer after my freshman year and another 25 during the summer of my sophomore year, assuming I apply during junior year?
I'd prefer to see some of the shadowing closer to the time you plan to apply. A total of 50 hours will be fine. Be sure to include a primary care doc.

• Love
Reactions: 4 users
I'd prefer to see some of the shadowing closer to the time you plan to apply. A total of 50 hours will be fine. Be sure to include a primary care doc.
I'm interested in primary care, so I will probably end up shadowing a primary care physician and maybe one other specialty. Do you think it's a big deal if I only shadow during my freshman summer? Or should I just wait and shadow maybe sophomore summer?

Also, how important is the consistency of clinical experience? For instance, if I were to work as a full time scribe/ MA over freshman summer, sophomore summer, and junior summer, would that be sufficient? I don't think I will have any time during the school year since I'm involved in research and on campus organizations. Do I need both clinical volunteering AND paid clinical, or can I just do paid clinical? Thanks again!

Members don't see this ad :)
Having just paid clinical is fine, but you will still need non-clinical volunteering.

• Love
Reactions: 1 user
I'm interested in primary care, so I will probably end up shadowing a primary care physician and maybe one other specialty. Do you think it's a big deal if I only shadow during my freshman summer? 1) Or should I just wait and shadow maybe sophomore summer?

2) Also, how important is the consistency of clinical experience? For instance, if I were to work as a full time scribe/ MA over freshman summer, sophomore summer, and junior summer, would that be sufficient? I don't think I will have any time during the school year since I'm involved in research and on campus organizations. Do I need both clinical volunteering AND paid clinical, or 3) can I just do paid clinical? Thanks again!
1) Wait for some of it.
2) Three full time summers would be sufficient for clinical experience.
3) Paid clinical experience is sufficient, but you need some nonmedical volunteering, too.

• Love
Reactions: 1 users