Considering studying for & writing the MCAT. Help.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mwadie7

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone! I'm new here & considering writing the MCAT at the end of August/early September. I am however, puzzled as to where to commence with my studying and was hoping for a little guidance, but first allow me to give you a bit of background on my educational background:

I have just completed my 3rd year of undergraduate education in Kinesiology at McMaster & as for what I perceive to be the relevant courses, have taken various human physiology courses, a semester in physics, a semester in biomechanics, a semseter in intro calculus, 3 semesters of psych (1 intro-level), & a full year of general chemistry (with very basic organic chem). As for pure biochem, organic chem, & bio, I havent partaken any specific courses.

1) From identical or similar experience (personal or otherwise), do you think I can manage to do well on the MCAT by utilizing any of the prep book sets (self-study)?
2) If the answer to the above question is yes, which ones?
3) What are the absolute best test banks to use and will provide the most realistic simulations of the MCAT?

I was thinking Kaplan books for content review (+ EK for CARS), & as for Test banks I'd go with NS, TPR, & the official AAMC practice tests. I know the Kaplan books are detailed but I could just briefly review anything I'm already familiar with so it shouldn't be too tedious I guess. Thoughts?

Thank you in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
1. This is not the proper sub-forum for your question.

2. You will want a full year of physics, so another semester.

3. "Intro" calculus or calculus? Some universities will not accept introductory courses for pre-reqs.

4. You will need a semester of biochem, a year of organic chemistry, and a year of biology. Consider that some universities may require biology completed before organic, and organic completed before biochem.

5. There is no point in taking the MCAT before your pre-req courses.

1. This is not the proper sub-forum for your question.

2. You will want a full year of physics, so another semester.

3. "Intro" calculus or calculus? Some universities will not accept introductory courses for pre-reqs.

4. You will need a semester of biochem, a year of organic chemistry, and a year of biology. Consider that some universities may require biology completed before organic, and organic completed before biochem.

5. There is no point in taking the MCAT before your pre-req courses.
1) I'm sorry, I was unaware that it wasn't the appropriate area to post.
2-5) I do not intend on taking them at all. The schools I would apply to have no pre-requisites. I was not asking for an opinion on when to do the MCAT relative to taking the pre-reqs, I was asking if I could do well without taking them.

I see, well than I am naive to the Canadian medical school process and will refrain from offering any more aid.