considering spouse for nontrad med school admission?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

testingtesting123

5+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I think there's no harm in talking to your own contact and asking them to put in a good word. It may not help but I have a hard time seeing how it could hurt. I don't know what sort of overlap there is regarding to various adcoms at this school, but it's worth a shot.

It's a bit unique in that you are also an applicant/recruit to a sister institution. My wife is in the private sector and when I applied, it had zero impact. Frankly, it isn't the job of medical schools to accommodate their decision process because you're married. That being said, I have found at my school that they are very supporting of spouses. I speak on a panel for students and spouses and always mention that one of you will be getting an MD, but both of you are going through med school.

But to you question, I don't think it's in poor taste for you to tell your boss that your acceptance of the position is predicated by your spouses acceptance into the med school. If they decide to try and pull rank/leverage, go for it.

My top choice for my next career stage is in the same city as my spouse's top choice medical school. My spouse has had an interview at this medical school but has not heard back whether accepted, and I am wondering if there is anything we should do to further demonstrate our intent, or whether we should avoid prodding the sleeping beast.

Your spouse applied and got an interview. Thus, the intent was quite clear. Sending love letters won't change the needle, unless you're dealing with a needy school or one that likes to see people grovel, like Mayo, Jefferson or Gtown. Otherwise, how would you interpret a non-binding contract from a desperate candidate???

How do you think a med school ADCOM would respond to being contacted by an affiliated researcher or MD/PhD director?

In general, it annoys the Admissions staff.

From the wise Med Ed: [What med schools…] accept and desire are two different things. My institution, for instance, will accept practically anything a given applicant wants to forward along, but only rarely do we consider it a worthwhile addition to the package.

And yes, some of us have gotten a little jaded about LOI's. I could fill a barrel with all the post-interview correspondence I have received that has not translated into a single matriculant. This has all gotten mighty complicated and burdensome for what is essentially a zero sum game.

It's generally not burdensome for an applicant to upload something to the portal, and once in a great while it does tip us off with some useful info. I can think of one individual who had a stellar application, like Harvard/Yale/Stanford-worthy, and a superb interview, who sent us several updates and a LOI. We were somewhat perplexed by this person's tenacious interest in our program. Turns out there were family/geographical reasons behind the whole thing, the applicant just never felt comfortable directly playing that card.

When it comes down to waitlist time I will scan through what folks have uploaded post-interview. The vast majority of times it has no impact. Occasionally I have seen it hurt people's chances. Come to think of it, in my experience this is probably more likely, than such correspondence having a positive impact.

See https://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/loi-and-interviews.1252832/#post-18849958

I told a school I'd go if accepted, now not so sure

for classic examples of why most Admissions deans treat these as lies.

RE: LOI We only invite amazing students to interview. It is quite unlikely that further good deeds or achievements will have an effect since only the students who have already wowed us are interviewed.

Reactions: 1 user