considering MPH degree

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

xTinaBna

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello! i am considering getting an MPH degree soon and just had a few questions. I know in general MPH programs are two years, if i start in January 2007, is it possible to finish by Summer 2008? I didnt know if there were summer classes available to MPH students. Also, I would like to work in a hospital setting, what specific concentrations of an MPH would require me to work in a hospital? One last question, how much time do you think is adequate to prepare for GRE's? I majored in statistics and minored in math so i'm not worried about quantitative. But i always had problems on verbal sections so i was not sure how much time i would need to prepare. Thanks!

:)

Members don't see this ad.

Hi!
This depends on which school you are planning to attend as every school has different credit hours requirement and it make take a bit longer to complete and finish your degree. In addition, you may have to take more credit hours per semester and won't be able to work while studying.

Hospital setting--I think epidemiology, health administration, & maternal and child health areas are the specific tracks I know which will let you work in hospital setting. I am not sure about others.

For GRE's , this depends on your level of studying and how confident you feel on taking GRE's. I suggest no more than a month of studying unless you really feel you need to practice.. I like Kaplan's book with the CD. The CD helped me a great deal and i know this sounds a bit nerdy but I loved studying for the Verbal. ha. I was a bit weak in Verbal too and the CD helped me quite a bit. I used to work full-time and so I would wake up early morning and go over the vocab and during my breaks go over it again, and then before going to sleep. I worked on verbal atleast 2-3times a day. Does this help?

Good Luck:)

cbenedic said:
Hello! i am considering getting an MPH degree soon and just had a few questions. I know in general MPH programs are two years, if i start in January 2007, is it possible to finish by Summer 2008? I didnt know if there were summer classes available to MPH students. Also, I would like to work in a hospital setting, what specific concentrations of an MPH would require me to work in a hospital? One last question, how much time do you think is adequate to prepare for GRE's? I majored in statistics and minored in math so i'm not worried about quantitative. But i always had problems on verbal sections so i was not sure how much time i would need to prepare. Thanks!

:)