Considering LSU?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

docmustaffa

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just wanted to let you all know, if you are considering Psych at the LSU/Ochsner program, the call schedule will likely be Q4, with those being In-house calls for your Intern year. If the service is still covering NOAH, Ochsner, DePaul, and University Hospital, this is unlikely to change. Just something to think about as you are constructing your ROL's...

Members don't see this ad.

Just wanted to let you all know, if you are considering Psych at the LSU/Ochsner program, the call schedule will likely be Q4, with those being In-house calls for your Intern year. If the service is still covering NOAH, Ochsner, DePaul, and University Hospital, this is unlikely to change. Just something to think about as you are constructing your ROL's...

We share call with LSU and yes they might be Q4. The interns at Tulane are currently Q7. and we do not cover as many hospitals as LSU, so you have more time to have a life and for more independent study. We are back in new orleans in full strength. If you are considering psychiatry in New orleans Tulane has a much easier call schedule and thus residents have more time for other pursuits if they wish, such as research or community service.

Currently, LSU-Ochsner interns take approximately 1 in 7 call (in-house) and LSU-Ochsner second years take 1in 8 call (at home). For any questions regarding the LSU-Ochsner Psychiatry Residency Training Program, please contact Kelly Guidry at [email protected] or Margaret Baier, M.D. at [email protected].

I will keep you notified should there be any significant changes in the call schedule.

Members don't see this ad :)
Currently, LSU-Ochsner interns take approximately 1 in 7 call (in-house) and LSU-Ochsner second years take 1in 8 call (at home). For any questions regarding the LSU-Ochsner Psychiatry Residency Training Program, please contact Kelly Guidry at [email protected] or Margaret Baier, M.D. at [email protected].

I will keep you notified should there be any significant changes in the call schedule.

While q7 is the current system, I too have heard throughout the interview season that this will more than likely change to q4 in house for next year's intern class. By your post, you sound as if this is a false rumor, and nothing is going to change. Care to elaborate?

Agree with DocHutch.
I'm a third year at LSU and even though it's too late to mean anything at this point by replying, I felt the erroneous first post needed to be corrected.
Interns are q7.
They do not cover Ochsner, as that is strictly a second year call rotation.
Interns take call at the University Hospital Mental Health Emergency Room Extension (Crisis unit) along with an upper level moonlighter, and cover the inpatient unit via the telephone. Starting May 1st, there will be a full time staff psychiatrist in house around the clock also.

As far as comparison to Tulane's program goes, I believe if you are interested in being a psychiatrist, and want to be in New Orleans (which is an amazing city for Psychiatry, even more so since Katrina) then a visit to both programs would clarify things beyond a shadow of a doubt.

The purpose of residency is to be exposed to as much variety of psychopathology as possible, AS WELL AS having a concrete learning experience via teaching from staff. While "independent study" is great, I believe adequate staff and upper level supervision is absolutely necessary.

While applying to ANY program, I believe going through its website is important to gain a better understanding.

Please visit ours here : www.medschool.lsuhsc.edu/psychiatry_residents/ .

Thanks,
A. Majid Khan, MD