Considering drilling reserves

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Creflo

time to eat
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I signed an 8 year commitment while in school, did 3 year civilian residency in NADDS program, and am about to finish my 3 year active duty commitment. Apparently I don't get credit for the 3 years in residency, so my 8 year clock started with active duty (leaving me with 5 year reserve commitment after I separate). I would like to transition out of active duty to drilling reserves, and have been told by Career Transition Office I would have 5 year commitment in reserves, but that I would be able to transfer out of drilling reserves and into IRR after the first 2 years drilling. So it sounds like I can drill for 2 years without chance of deployment (2 year moratorium on deployment). Is there a chance I could be denied transitioning to IRR after those first 2 years?

Members don't see this ad.

I signed an 8 year commitment while in school, did 3 year civilian residency in NADDS program, and am about to finish my 3 year active duty commitment. Apparently I don't get credit for the 3 years in residency, so my 8 year clock started with active duty. I would like to transition out of active duty to drilling reserves, and have been told by Career Transition Office I would have 5 year commitment in reserves, but that I would be able to transfer out of drilling reserves and into IRR after the first 2 years drilling. So it sounds like I can drill for 2 years without chance of deployment (2 year moratorium on deployment). Is there a chance I could be denied transitioning to IRR after those first 2 years?
I can't imagine the big green god in the sky lets you turn an 8yr active obligation into a 3active/2reserve drill with no deployment/3irr

But i'm interested to hear the resolution

Is there a chance I could be denied transitioning to IRR after those first 2 years?

yes. but, it depends who makes the decisions. if it is someone who views soldiers as soldiers (ie, cogs) then they may approve it since the vast majority of the army is pretty replaceable. however if it gets to the hands/desk/purveyance of someone who sniffs out the doctor part of things they might kill it. I'd recommend keeping this on the DL and working through whomever gave you the info you liked and have them assist with getting everything signed and in writing. keep us posted.

--your friendly neighborhood like sauron sometimes the big green weenie misses the little stuff caveman

I asked for it in writing, and he said it's all in regulation/publication on the navy reserve website (I didn't catch the exact reference ). I'm thinking unless I get in writing I won't do it.