Considering an MD-PhD? Here's What You Should Know.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
MD-PhD programs are competitive. Let's get some numbers out of the way: The 122 U.S. programs that grant an MD-PhD dual degree had a collective 2,091 applicants and 750 matriculants in the 2021 cycle. That means approximately 36% of applicants got into a program. (There are also 13 Canadian schools and the NIH MD-PhD Partnership Program to consider.)

Who should be interested in an MD-PhD?

If you're passionate about research but also want to work with patients in a clinical setting, the physician-scientist path might be right for you. A strong applicant should have a research background already. "Most MD-PhD candidates earn their PhD in biomedical laboratory disciplines such as cell biology, biochemistry, genetics, immunology, pharmacology, physiology, neuroscience, and biomedical engineering," according to the AAMC. But there are some programs that allow you to pursue non-laboratory interests as well (epidemiology, healthcare policy, etc.).

How can I improve my odds of acceptance?

There are fantastic MD-PhD-focused summer research programs for undergraduates that will amp up your resume and Work and Activities entries. The AAMC provides a helpful list of such programs.

If you're an underrepresented applicant, The Gateways to the Laboratory Program of the Tri-Institutional MD-PhD Program focuses on helping underrepresented students prepare for MD-PhD programs. That program is open to freshman and sophomores only, but Tri-I offers other research opportunity programs for undergrads further along in their studies.

For the rest of this blog post, including more FAQs, visit our website here.

Members don't see this ad.