[Confusion] Submit the AADSAS *before* or *after* I take the DAT?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gec

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all! My very first post in SDN :laugh:

I’m planning to take the DAT during the end of July (i.e. the 20th or 27th), because that’ll give me a good 8 weeks to prepare.

But because applicants like me are also concerned about submitting the app early, is it possible to submit my AADSAS mid-/end- June? So that means submitting the app one month BEFORE having taken the DAT. (And to be honest, I don’t think I can take the DAT any earlier than late-July, since I won’t be ready..)

That said, what consequences will there be if I had already submitted my app, but decide I don’t like the scores for that DAT? Can’t I just re-take the DAT in November, knowing that my AADSAS had already been submitted back in June?

Alternatively—would it be better to still take the DAT during the end of July, BUT submit my AADSAS after having taken the DAT? Why would this be better or worse than submitting my AADSAS before having taken the DAT?

[[Gosh, I read through so many threads, and I think that might’ve jumbled me up even more-- I’m STILL so confused! :-( sorry in advance for the noobiness )]

Members don't see this ad.

The DAT takes 2-3 weeks to process, the actual application takes 4-6 weeks. You can't be looked at until they have both. Taking the DAT before you submit the application will cause your wait to be longer than the other way around.

The DAT takes 2-3 weeks to process, the actual application takes 4-6 weeks. You can't be looked at until they have both. Taking the DAT before you submit the application will cause your wait to be longer than the other way around.

4-6 weeks is a pretty long estimation for the application processing. It is usually 3 weeks max. :)

OP--please read the AADSAS FAQs link in my signature. It will answer some of your questions.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)

Ah! I see. They are overestimating so they have some wiggle room and won't have anxious pre-dents breathing down their necks if they need to take longer for some random reason... :D

Once YOU have submitted everything, I've never seen it take longer than three weeks for a GPA to be verified or letters to be uploaded from Interfolio (they are instantaneous if uploaded directly to AADSAS). On their part, that's all they have to actually do with your application.

The only negative consequence of a submitted app followed by a not so great DAT is that some schools may put your application in an unfavorable pile, pass over you for an interview or even reject you before you retake. You may do well and then the above won't happen. We can't really predict what will happen exactly but those are some possibilities. However, if you plan on applying this cycle regardless of your DAT scores, submit your application earlier than later and hope for the best.