Confusing about bp and vapor/atm pressure

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dre4m3r

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello guys,
So I know that higher vp = low bp since they are inversely proportional, but why at higher attitude ( low atm pressure and vp also low) have low bp? I am totally lost here.
Can someone help explain this concepts?

Members don't see this ad.

Remember that vaporization aka boiling only occurs when the vapor pressure of the solution is equal to or greater than the atmospheric pressure. In other words, the vapor pressure of the liquid has to be able to "push back" hard enough on the pressure in the atmosphere if it will be able to boil.

Lower atmospheric pressure means there is less pressure pushing down on your liquid. This means that your liquid doesn't have to push back as hard in order to boil. So it boils at lower temperatures.

Reactions: 1 user
Hello guys,
So I know that higher vp = low bp since they are inversely proportional, but why at higher attitude ( low atm pressure and vp also low) have low bp? I am totally lost here.
Can someone help explain this concepts?

In reference to what @russelldw mentioned you can also relate it to H2O temp vs pressure curve for better visualization. As you can see, when you decrease the pressure i.e higher altitude you see the boiling point of water is no longer 100C.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    85.5 KB · Views: 26