Confused!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BlazeoGlory

SGU SVM 2012
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all!

I have applied to Ross and St. George's for the January class (as the deadlines for january lined up with those for other classes beginning in the fall) and I'm having a bit of a dilemma!

I have already had my interviews for Ross and St. George's, and they will be getting back to me about acceptance into the january class, but I still REALLY want to hear back from the other schools as well, especially Murdoch. Unfortunately I will need to report a decision if I get accepted to either of these schools before I hear back from the others (even though I will be hearing back from Murdoch shortly after the New Year). Is it acceptable to defer acceptance at either of these schools until the fall to hear back from other anticipated responses? Will my application be looked down upon? I will obviously appreciate ANY acceptance and don't want to ruin an opportunity that is in front of me, but if I can, I would prefer to opt for a deferment.

Thanks for any feedback about this! :)

Members don't see this ad.

I would think you need to call Ross/St. George's directly to find out about this.. good luck!!

I agree with aretoo. I would call up after you've been accepted and explain your situation - that of course you're interested, but you think it's in everyone's best interest for you to wait and hear all your options. Hopefully they'll be understanding!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi all!

I have applied to Ross and St. George's for the January class (as the deadlines for january lined up with those for other classes beginning in the fall) and I'm having a bit of a dilemma!

I have already had my interviews for Ross and St. George's, and they will be getting back to me about acceptance into the january class, but I still REALLY want to hear back from the other schools as well, especially Murdoch. Unfortunately I will need to report a decision if I get accepted to either of these schools before I hear back from the others (even though I will be hearing back from Murdoch shortly after the New Year). Is it acceptable to defer acceptance at either of these schools until the fall to hear back from other anticipated responses? Will my application be looked down upon? I will obviously appreciate ANY acceptance and don't want to ruin an opportunity that is in front of me, but if I can, I would prefer to opt for a deferment.

Thanks for any feedback about this! :)

I'd love to hear about your interview experience w/Ross...I interview with them in Chicago 1/15. Please keep us updated on deferral info!

Hey guys, sorry it took awhile!

The interview pretty much got down to the nitty gritty on things, but it was very straightforward (mainly just went through questions about the application). i.e. Talk about someone you admire, talk about grades, gre scores (if they're bad), a stressful situation and how you handled it, hobbies, extracurriculars, and various points in the essay), but I am sure every interview varies depending on your own application and strengths/weaknesses.

I also figured out that they would allow deferment of admission but only after putting down a $1000 deposit, which I can't afford right now and not sure if that is where I would even want to go (leaning more toward SGU) so I will just have to re-submit the application with the fees and interview again if it came to it. SGU on the other hand, offers to defer the application where they re-submit it to the committee without re-paying a fee or interviewing.

Hope this helped anyone!

The interview pretty much got down to the nitty gritty on things, but it was very straightforward (mainly just went through questions about the application). i.e. Talk about someone you admire, talk about grades, gre scores (if they're bad), a stressful situation and how you handled it, hobbies, extracurriculars, and various points in the essay), but I am sure every interview varies depending on your own application and strengths/weaknesses.

I also figured out that they would allow deferment of admission but only after putting down a $1000 deposit, which I can't afford right now and not sure if that is where I would even want to go (leaning more toward SGU) so I will just have to re-submit the application with the fees and interview again if it came to it. SGU on the other hand, offers to defer the application where they re-submit it to the committee without re-paying a fee or interviewing.

Hope this helped anyone!

oops, computer had a brain fart :)

Hope this helped anyone!

Just a note for you as I don't know if it will help your decision making.

Murdoch just restructured their program to be what is basically a 6-year program. Students who currently hold a degree may be given advanced standing of a year (or more possibly).

What is most important to you however is that next years class will consist of only 45 students, of which I think there are spots for 15 international students. I know that there are a few international students in current programs competing for those 15 spots.

Because of that Murdoch has been accepting people into a year of Biomedical science with 'guaranteed entry into Vet for 2009'. Depending on your coursework you could probably get many exemptions but you are still most likely looking at a 5 year program and a possible extra year (or waiting a year until the course starts -- assuming exemptions)

Regardless of what you decide to do, Murdoch is a great school and I am enjoying life here very much and would easily recommend it to anyone. I just wanted to give you a heads up in case it might weigh in on your choices.

Good luck!

Hope this helped anyone!

Thanks for the info...and congratulations! How long was it after your interview that you were offered acceptance?

I am currently a fourth year Californian at Murdoch. Yes they are redesigning the program and even if it adds another year on I would still do it again in a heart beat. I did not have to do an interview. I filled out an international student application and sent in a half a page personal statement. It might require a bit more now since the competition is increasing in Australian schools for international students.