This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted918398

Hi everyone,

Thank you for stopping by, and I'd really appreciate your opinion and insight on my issue. I feel like I have to explain a lot about my background in order to help you guys see my dilemma.

My whole life, I knew I wanted to work in healthcare--I enjoyed every subject about health and science in school, and did well for the most part. Then I went to undergrad as a biology major (considering pharmacy), but halfway through, was diagnosed with anxiety and depression that greatly hindered my ability to do well in this field. I became a bit of a hypochondriac, unable to really handle anything with physical illness nor the stress that a job in healthcare would entail, and this hindered my ability to stay in the field. I ended up switching to psychology as a major, which was a subject I also enjoyed and surprisingly excelled at. After I graduated, I took a year off to better handle my illness, and also explore other career options outside of my initial "dream" in healthcare. As much as I love psychology, I know I don't want to be a therapist or psychologist.

Today, I've learned how to cope with my anxiety, and in the beginning of this year 2018, I decided to try my hand in healthcare again. I figured to try going towards pharmacy again, and started a class in microbiology in the spring semester of a community college. I've found that, although I greatly enjoy the subject (way more than I thought I would!), it is incredibly challenging even though it is the only class I am taking. I also visited a hospital recently, and just found myself to feel so uneasy and unsure if I could enjoy and excel at a job in this setting.

Is there any job that deals with healthcare, but not within the typical hospital or clinical setting? I have considered healthcare educator, but a career in this field is not promising financially. I greatly enjoy working with diverse communities, especially seniors. I volunteer and offer socialization services for seniors and disabled individuals at a nonprofit. I want to help others in my career, but I just don't know how anymore. Is healthcare even right for me?

Members don't see this ad.

It doesn't sound like it, but at least you realized it now before you're in the thick of it.

Reactions: 1 user
It doesn't sound like it, but at least you realized it now before you're in the thick of it.

Thank you for your input! I’m trying to be as realistic and reasonable as I can before committing to career path. Do you know of any careers that deal with healthcare topics but not localized in a hospital setting?

Members don't see this ad :)
Im curious why you have ruled out being a psychologist... as it’s something you enjoyed studying, have personal experience, and there is a dire need for mental healthcare providers across the entire country. It would enable you to work in healthcare - without the hospital or clinical setting if you want. It pays well, and can be as challenging as you want it to be.

Social work.

Im curious why you have ruled out being a psychologist... as it’s something you enjoyed studying, have personal experience, and there is a dire need for mental healthcare providers across the entire country. It would enable you to work in healthcare - without the hospital or clinical setting if you want. It pays well, and can be as challenging as you want it to be.

Thank you for your response! The reason being is kind of hard to explain, but basically, dealing with my own mental health concerns on a daily basis is draining. So as a therapist i’d probably see a lot of patients with similar concerns, and as of now, I don’t want to have my whole livelihood be involved in the subject. (Hopefully I’m explaining this well.) I know for many others experiencing a specific illness will inspire them to help others with it, but I just don’t know if I’m cut out to do it in such a direct manner that a therapist would.

Instead of providing direct mental health services, i’d love to educate people on the importance of proper mental health, when to seek help, etc. but not sure if a career like this is financially stable.