MD Confused MSIII looking for advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BrownDoc92

Reaction score
Long time lurker, first post. Confused MSIII at a mid-tier state MD-school, trying to narrow down what to pursue. I'm currently towards the beginning my 3rd year so haven't finished all my clerkships yet. I had my surgery clerkship (HP) and wasn't the biggest fan but I think it may attributed to my specific service. Regardless was not leaning towards anything surgical until I came across ophtho and did an elective. Enjoyed the field but did poorly on step 1 (22x). Any know of any first-hand accounts of residents that had similar stats. I have 2 pendings pubs in ophtho, one being a case report and 1 non-ophtho. Also have heard great things about certain medicine subspecialities and wanted to ask about gastro specifically in terms of what percentage the field is diagnostic vs therapeutic? I like the idea of being able to help someone and them see the results following an intervention. Would def appreciate any advice to help lean one way or another field that I may not have considered.

Members don't see this ad.

Hard to find as much info regarding the SF match online as NRMP charting match outcomes, but here's a good place to start.

Looks like 2018 had an avg matched step 1 of 245 and unmatched of 228, which would certainly put you in the latter category. Fortunately, you are also a USMD, which has the highest match percentage of any group, but this doesn't show what the avg. Step of each category is, so they could also just be a higher/comparable Step score.

Perhaps with an otherwise absolutely amazing application or with taking a gap year for significant research, you'd have a chance, but 2 pending pubs (unless groundbreaking research) is pretty run of the mill and likely on the lower end. You also have Step 2 CK/CS looming ahead which will also change your outcome overall, but likely too little too late for ophtho.

I have seen GI in at least 3 different hospitals. Looks like you could do a good mix of procedural stuff and actual medicine (that was done at all 3, no dedicated scoper at the places I rotated, as they all did inpatient medicine on consult services and outpatient follow up). Tbh I have literally no interest in GI, cause scopes are hella boring (literally sticking tubes in butts all day and looking at feces trying to find bleeding is not my idea of fun) and the only remotely interesting medicine for me in that field is Hepatology, but I know many people to really like scoping and GI as a whole. That being said, its a very competitive subspecialty within internal medicine (probably in the same vein as Cards but with fewer spots). You'd have to start working now.

What you'd need is to improve your Step 2 so that you are a competitive IM applicant and do fairly well across the board in 3rd year/4th year rotations as well as getting good letters of support. As someone with a similar Step 1 and a not much higher Step 2 out of a mid tier USMD program, I can tell you you'll still likely wind up in a university program, but you might be somewhere you don't want to be, and it may be a weaker program overall which might make fellowship match even more difficult down the road. Also, Step doesn't stop affecting you at residency, as fellowships screen Step scores too. A 22x won't put you out of the running entirely as a USMD, but we're already limited to some degree for the foreseeable future.

Research/extracurriculars/community service/work experiences all help too for IM, but none of them are super influential at the end of the day. What might help is finding something that you can do to set you apart. Something that you can get a significant leadership role in, impactful research in a IM subspecialty, or something you can start from the ground up which will actually have some impact or be interesting in some way.

Also, are you higher or lower on the 22x? If applying either field, that third digit can make a big difference. A 229 is a rounding error from an average Step score, a 221 is trash. I got a 223, so I know my score sucks, makes it harder across the board.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Pull up the tableau data for some similarly competitive specialties (e.g. ortho, neurosurg, ENT, plastics)

Match rates for 22x scores are pretty terrifying (Nsurg 55%, Ortho 51%, ENT 51%, Plastic 52%).

And, I'm betting most of those are home-matches to their own school's residency or the bottom-end programs that nobody is excited to match to. If you had a verbal handshake deal with your home department from doing a research year or something, you could consider it. Otherwise, you'd be pretty nuts

It’s crazy how even though those match rates are really bad, it’s still better than the chances of most medical school applicants that are applying (~40%). You could try for optho and if your home program want you. Would probably still apply for a backup.