MD Confused junior with a 3.2 GPA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

studentdoctor2021

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi!

I am a current junior and I realize that my grades during the first 2 years of college (especially sophomore year due to mental health problems) are so bad that I'm not sure what to do/whether they can be made up with mostly As/B+s, etc... so I'm seeking out suggestions/help/advice!

I have taken all the premed pre reqs(do have to retake one class):
my grades include a B+ and A- in intro level bio courses, A- in orgo I, C+ in orgo II, C+ in physics 1, A in physics 2 (E&M), A in stats, math requirement completed in high school (with 5 in AP calc BC), A in psychology, and a D- in biochemistry sophomore spring (which is what I'll be retaking soon). Most of my other grades are all B+s (mainly in psychology, history and biology). I am continuing to take bio (major) and psych courses so I will slowly raise my science GPA (this semester, I am in two bio courses and should be (hopefully) receiving A-s or As!)

I go to a selective liberal arts college, and my GPA right now is a 3.2. I have not taken the MCAT, and I was originally planning on applying to medical school at the en def junior year, but have been advised not to do so anymore. I am not waiting to take the MCAT until I can retake biochemistry, just waiting until I can get some time to study so will be taking it during mid-late 2019. I have semi good extra curriculars right now: 35 hours of shadowing, 200 hours of clinical work (hospital volunteering, hospice), 100-150 ish hours of tutoring low income students, no research, not much leadership (but was a TA/and a mentor for some classes).

I would truly love some guidance right now. I am feeling very lost, and even though I am trying to combat my low GPA from the last 2 years, I am not sure what to do to get into a medical school. I am semi good at standardized testing, so I think I will be fine on the MCAT but it depends on how much I prepare obviously which is why I'm not in a hurry right now because I do want to feel more confident about other parts of my application.

Members don't see this ad.

Work on increasing your sGPA during your final 2 years of college. Do not take the MCAT until you have retaken biochemistry and when your practice scores are consistently over 508. A 500 MCAT is adequate for some DO schools.

Work on increasing your sGPA during your final 2 years of college. Do not take the MCAT until you have retaken biochemistry and when your practice scores are consistently over 508. A 500 MCAT is adequate for some DO schools.

I was wondering whether it would look bad to medical schools if I took the MCAT before retaking because I actually understood every concept in the course, but my course was not curved and I missed a few quizzes because of my depression and they were never excused, but I really did understand almost all concepts, so I was hoping to take it regardless of when I retake biochemistry.

How much do I have to increase SGPA and CGPA to be able to get into state medical schools? For many years, I have had an interest in neuroscience/derm and want to go to medical school instead of DO because of this and I'm also pretty good at neuro (taken 3 classes so far, while chemistry is my worse subject)

Members don't see this ad :)
I was wondering whether it would look bad to medical schools if I took the MCAT before retaking because I actually understood every concept in the course, but my course was not curved and I missed a few quizzes because of my depression and they were never excused, but I really did understand almost all concepts, so I was hoping to take it regardless of when I retake biochemistry.

Schools don't care when you take a course relative to when you take the MCAT. They do care that you do well on the MCAT. *If* you're ok studying for the MCAT without retaking biochemistry, then it doesn't matter when you retake the course.

How much do I have to increase SGPA and CGPA to be able to get into state medical schools? For many years, I have had an interest in neuroscience/derm and want to go to medical school instead of DO because of this and I'm also pretty good at neuro (taken 3 classes so far, while chemistry is my worse subject)

FYI- DO is medical school.

You’ve gotten good advice so you know what to do now. Including taking biochem before you take the MCAT.