Confused and Needing Clarification!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CampDeeds

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So here is some background before I clarify this thread title:

Graduated last year with my Bachelors in Psychology with a minor in Human Sexuality. My GPA made it to 2.95. I had taken a year off got a job as a respite worker that I kind of love doing but I don't feel as fulfilled by it. I went on to apply for some MSW programs and got into the two that I applied for (Azusa Pacific and USC) however the price tag bothered me so I am back at it again for 2019 hoping that I could either save up and not feel so burdened by loans or attend somewhere cheaper like Long Beach. However, I am questioning if I want MSW to be my choice or some other form of Mental health profession due to whether my interests really fall in line with SW.

While I was in Undergrad, I interned in two programs, on Suicide and Depression awareness and the other on like Public Health/Overall Wellness. I loved working in those two programs and so when I graduated I wanted to still have some involvement in that type of work where I worked with mental health but I also did some public health things/worked with overall wellness for the people I worked with. Whether that was in some form of therapy or doing program development, I was intrigued. I wanted to work in a school or a hospital and my target audience was like ages 1-35, whether that be couples, Families or individuals. I also wanted to include learning about Art Therapy/Photography and incorporate it somehow.

I know it sounds like a lot of options but I am highly interested in those options and would love to teach later down the road. With that being said I kept having second thoughts like that isn't capable with Social Work and I need to look somewhere else.

So thoughts and clarification:
With my interests, is that something that can be achieved through Social Work or somewhere else?

Members don't see this ad.

Your interests are pretty unfocused and I would suggest you narrow down your career goals a bit before pursuing further education. There is a massive difference between public health and the "wellness" industry, the latter requiring business acumen but no particular professional training (hence Salvador's suggestion).