Confused After Step1/Level 1

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Sardonix

10+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
1. You should be fine, but I certainly wouldn't ONLY apply to programs in MN.
2. Completely up to you. I probably wouldn't in your situation, unless I could get at least a good improvement (>220-225) on NBMEs (not just UWSAs).

You'll be fine. Apply reasonably broadly.

Good luck, but remember that often fit > location.

Get a sense from how motivated the residents are and how diverse their interests are to guage training quality. If you have, in a say an 8 to 10 person class: 1 -2 doing hospitalist, 1 doing obsetrics in a rural area, 1-2 Urgent care/or rural ED (whether FPs in ED is a good idea is another topic), 5 outpatient, 1 international med, 1- 2 under served med, etc, maybe a sports med person, etc. A one line way is “do the residents seem to be making interesting/varied use of their training?”

Good luck

If a place seems cool online, do a rotation there. A good motivated rotation > > board scores....

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
1. You should be fine, but I certainly wouldn't ONLY apply to programs in MN.
2. Completely up to you. I probably wouldn't in your situation, unless I could get at least a good improvement (>220-225) on NBMEs (not just UWSAs).

You'll be fine. Apply reasonably broadly.

Thank you, Hallowmann.

I've seen your posts in multiple sections and always appreciate your insight; this one being no different!

Good luck, but remember that often fit > location.

Get a sense from how motivated the residents are and how diverse their interests are to guage training quality. If you have, in a say an 8 to 10 person class: 1 -2 doing hospitalist, 1 doing obsetrics in a rural area, 1-2 Urgent care/or rural ED (whether FPs in ED is a good idea is another topic), 5 outpatient, 1 international med, 1- 2 under served med, etc, maybe a sports med person, etc. A one line way is “do the residents seem to be making interesting/varied use of their training?”

Good luck

If a place seems cool online, do a rotation there. A good motivated rotation > > board scores....

Very good points. I will keep that in mind as I start 3rd year and head into 4th.