Confused about timeline for DO's entering allopathic EM residencies

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ryan17

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

So I was confused about this "rotating internship" thing for DO's...does this in practice add an extra year between graduation and starting an allopathic EM residency?

In other words, if someone graduates from a DO school in 2014 and matches to a 3 year allopathic residency, will they start the residency in 2014 and end in 2017?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

So for DOs the choices would be to do an osteopathic residency which includes an integrated intern year or an allopathic residency. The rotating internship is either for someone matching to an advanced spot (anesthesia) or someone who didn't match into their chosen specialty. If you do an allopathic residency and wish to practice in a state which requires a DO intern year you can always do a traditional rotating year before an allopathic residency but most people just do res 42.

So for DOs the choices would be to do an osteopathic residency which includes an integrated intern year or an allopathic residency. The rotating internship is either for someone matching to an advanced spot (anesthesia) or someone who didn't match into their chosen specialty. If you do an allopathic residency and wish to practice in a state which requires a DO intern year you can always do a traditional rotating year before an allopathic residency but most people just do res 42.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought that most allo 3 year EM programs did not have a first year that was sufficiently diverse to qualify for res 42. Anyone here with experience in the matter? I am really curious.

Members don't see this ad :)
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought that most allo 3 year EM programs did not have a first year that was sufficiently diverse to qualify for res 42. Anyone here with experience in the matter? I am really curious.

I had no problem getting mine approved and I think our program has a fairly standard curriculum. All EM residents are going to do OB, ICU, Trauma (got counted as a Surgery month and worked it even though it was in 2nd year), and Peds/PICU. Those are the core of the requirements.

I had no problem getting mine approved and I think our program has a fairly standard curriculum. All EM residents are going to do OB, ICU, Trauma (got counted as a Surgery month and worked it even though it was in 2nd year), and Peds/PICU. Those are the core of the requirements.
1375928691761.jpg

Yet another reason to do a 3 year ACGME EM residency.