Confused about research needed in Derm

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mastac741

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a first year med student. I am definitely leaning towards dermatology, and I've asked several residents who just matched in Derm that you have to have a few publications in the field even to be considered.

So, I've been told that I need to start thinking about this summer for a research position.

I've been told that if I don't publish in a research position, I just wasted my time.

So, I'm not sure where to start to get a derm program. I've e-mailed everyone I could think of at my med school, and I got no response.

I've heard that NIH pays, but over a summer you usually won't get published.

So, if i'm getting no love from my school, and NIH won't publish you, how does everyone have 3 publications by the time they apply for residency?

How do you guarantee that you'll get published? I'd be willing to work for free if this was the case.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

Untrue. According to AAMC data, 40% of those with 0 abstracts, presentations, or publications were still able to match. But you're right, with at least 1 of those, your chances increase to 60%.

Sadly, the best way to "guarantee" a publication would probably be to take an entire year off for research. It's pretty hard to generate publication-worthy research work in the span of a summer or even as a part time participant. (I'm assuming you are talking about basic science research here)