confused about ERAS LOR system

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chicamedica

1K Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Can we submit the main ERAS application before the LORs are in?

i.e. Submit the application on 9/1, then have the LORs transmitted whenever they come in (before 11/1)?

I tried doing a search but couldn't find this info.

thanks for help!

Members don't see this ad.

Yes, all you need is the CAF file completed before you can apply. once that is done you can apply and all other documents will be forwarded to programs as they become available. In some specialties it is common for interviews to be offered just based on the CAF.

awesome. . .BIG sigh of relief. . .

thanks so much!

Thanks seaglass thats very helpful. one other question. So I send my first batch to a few IM programs, then maybe I want to send a few apps to Em, I just need to tweak my personal statement then resend it? Is that how it works? Thanks

APACHE3 said:
Thanks seaglass thats very helpful. one other question. So I send my first batch to a few IM programs, then maybe I want to send a few apps to Em, I just need to tweek my personal statement then resend it? Is that how it works? Thanks
Or, you save the tweaks as "Personal Statement 2" and assign that to your selected EM programs to send out at whatever time you please :)

It is easier to understand once you have the actual screen in front of you.

Since this question is somewhat related I figured I'd post it here instead of starting a separate thread. I noticed there's a "submit your application" button in ERAS, but there's also an "apply to programs" tab under the main "programs" tab. Are these two functions different? Having a separate "submit your application" button makes it seem different than applying to specific programs, which I realize you can do in batches or individually, and at different times. So I'm wondering, when you click "submit your application," does it thereby lock in whatever you've entered in your CAF so that you can't change it afterwards? Or can you change your publications, activities, etc. after "submitting" so that you can have a more updated version to send to programs you apply to a bit later?

I guess I'm just a bit confused about the way this works.

TommyGunn04 said:
Since this question is somewhat related I figured I'd post it here instead of starting a separate thread. I noticed there's a "submit your application" button in ERAS, but there's also an "apply to programs" tab under the main "programs" tab. Are these two functions different? Having a separate "submit your application" button makes it seem different than applying to specific programs, which I realize you can do in batches or individually, and at different times. So I'm wondering, when you click "submit your application," does it thereby lock in whatever you've entered in your CAF so that you can't change it afterwards? Or can you change your publications, activities, etc. after "submitting" so that you can have a more updated version to send to programs you apply to a bit later?

I guess I'm just a bit confused about the way this works.

I haven't gotten to that part of the application yet :p but at ERAS meetings at my school, they warned us to not press the "submit" button until we're absolutely done with the whole CAF, otherwise you can't change it.

But this is a good question, that i'd like to know a more experienced answer to as well. (re: being able to transmit updates).