Confused about admission requirements

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kooldude

Reaction score
Hello!

So I have a lot of questions. I am new to preparing for dental school applications and I am interested in both Canadian and American dental schools.

1. I know for other professional schools you need volunteer/shadowing hours and letters of recommendations from your professor or a professional you volunteered with as a part of the non-academic admission requirements. I was wondering if thats the same for dental school admission requirements.

2. I was originally planning to pursue optometry so I have a lot of the pre-reqs required except for a second organic chemistry- do most schools need 2 with a lab? Do we need the second Organic chem for the DAT?

3. Also, is it true that the DAT is being offered all year round now? When can we begin signing up for DAT dates?

4. What are the main differences between applying for american vs canadian dental schools as a Canadian applicant?

5. I had been preparing for optometry school for the past 2 years- i shadowed, volunteered, worked at a clinic, and now that i decided I like dentistry better and have no experience in this field I feel very lost. Any advice on what I can do to gain experience, and stand out as an applicant?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Did you review the SDN How to guide for dental school admissions?

Basically if you have changed interests to dentistry, get some shadowing or observation experience, just like you did for optometry. We can tell you about the other resources, but the How To guide gives you basic information.

There are differences in being a Canadian student applying to Canadian programs that differs from applying to US, since Canadian programs are much less expensive and deal with the Canadian health care system more. (I am generalizing. ) zwhat specific sidings concern you?