This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

highhopes96

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys.

I'm a medical student, and I'm planning on forming an Emergency society in my university, next year. This society will have an annual emergency conference, and I'm thinking about workshops that I can add as part of this conference. But so far, I've only come up with things like demonstrating cannulations, and central venous insertions. If you guys can think of any procedures, and as many procedures, please let me know. But keep in mind, that it can't be very advanced, as it will mostly involve students, and junior doctors.

Thanks a lot!

Members don't see this ad.

Some basic ultrasound techniques of someone is available to teach that. You could do a megacode for acls if you have a dummy. You can buy pig feet at a grocery store and do suturing or IO gun insertions. If you want to get really crazy you can go to a butcher and get intact pig tracheas and do crics. The limiting step will be where you get things like IV lines, an ultrasound, or suture material.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 user
Also if u have airway dummies available you can do airway stuff like combitube, npa, rsi

Members don't see this ad :)
You can also do a mascal triage scenario where you have a write up of a fake mascal and a bunch of fake patients to triage into categories, send to OR Or evacuate. Then you can have small groups debate about that.

Hopefully you are going to do a more than have procedure workshops.
While cool, procedures are a tiny part of EM.

The basics are intubating, IV access, central lines, suturing, splinting
Others like chest tubes, thoracotomy take more resources to setup for a workshop

Check out the Roberts text if you want an exhaustive resource.

EM is a field of making decisions with limited info on undifferentiated complaints.
For med students, exposure to the EM mindset is much more important.
If I was planning a conference, I'd spend more time on that, than on procedures.

Reactions: 1 user