Concise and challenging Algebra II textbook?

xnfs93hy

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Okay so I have had a very bad experience with math over the years as some of you know. I am currently wrapping up Algebra II for this year but I feel as though I have learned nothing.

The textbook that they give us is beyond awful. It tells me nothing. It is just crap.

I am being home schooled the subject and the instructor does not give me any homework. I feel like I am just not really learning it.

I am extremely nervous for the SAT because I can't understand half the stuff the prep books are saying.

I am looking into buying a Algebra II textbook online to help me with the SAT's and stuff.

However, someone told me I would be much better off investing in a GOOD
college algebra textbook instead.

I am under the impression that in a college algebra class you learn Algebra I and II, and trig. Is this correct?

I am sick of looking on Google for answers. I shouldn't have to...

It isn't that I'm dumb or unwilling. I WANT TO UNDERSTAND THE MATERIAL, not just remember it for two days and have to go on Google to figure out how to do something which I should def. learn straight from a textbook.

Members don't see this ad.

Yes, College Algebra is algebra up to Algebra II and very simple trig. Precalculus is pretty much a beefed up version of it.

There are plenty of great college algebra textbooks and remember to buy an older edition because it will cost you less than $10, instead of $100 for the latest edition. It's not like there was any significant changes in Algebra in the last couple of years anyways.

Members don't see this ad :)
Eh, the college Algebra course and textbook I took went in a completely different direction from Algebra II, and most of the stuff in it wasn't on the ACT and probably wouldn't be on the SAT.

The college Algebra I took pretty much assumed you knew Algebra I and II and applied that knowledge to graphing functions and other fun stuff. There is very little of that on the standardized tests, except for linear and parabolic graphs.

I don't know what book you should use, but before you run off and buy any college Algebra text I'd make sure it has what you need in it.

Maybe your instructor should give you some homework. You really cannot learn math without doing it yourself; it just doesn't work to have someone else tell you what to do and do it all for you.

Well in that case you can get an Intermediate Algebra textbook.

At my local community college they offer Elementary Algebra, Intermediate Algebra, and College Algebra. I can look up a few books for you if I go to the bookstore anytime soon.

But definitely take a look at a college bookstore if you can.

I'm almost thinking I should just get Algebra II for dummies with the workbook...

so hard to find a good Alg. II text...

What was so bad about your school book? To be honest, you don't need a "challenging" Alg2 book, you just need to focus on it. If you spent as much time studying and rereading your books as you do posting about what books to get, you would be doing much better.

What was so bad about your school book? To be honest, you don't need a "challenging" Alg2 book, you just need to focus on it. If you spent as much time studying and rereading your books as you do posting about what books to get, you would be doing much better.

IT SUCKS.

It doesn't help at all. For example.

It will teach you how to do a problem but it will give no specific steps. It will just assume you know what you are doing. When you are trying to learn math out of a book, you need clear, step by step examples and this book just doesn't include any of that.

The only reason I'm on here so much is because I usually do not have much homework. I'm not in any AP classes so, yeah. I have time, haha.

I probably won't be on here much at all this summer or next year. I'm actually glad I've spent so much time on here.

And let's just put it this way, my Algebra II textbook got like 2 stars lower than Algebra II for dummies with workbook.

Yeah.

Algebra II for dummies actually gives step by step examples. Just bought it off amazon last night. Maybe that will help.