Concerning AP Chemistry

CrazyboyMD

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello
I am a rising HS Senior

I am considering taking AP Chemistry...was wondering if anyone here has taken it?

I didn't have the best experience in 10th grade Chemistry but am willing to IMPROVE and work harder to understand the material this year.

If you've taken it, could you tell me how it went for you? I took AP Bio my junior year, and want to take this class over Physics, which I haven't taken.

Members don't see this ad.

I didn't and wish I had. I felt very unprepared for college level chemistry without it. The first six weeks were all supposed to be review and I was pretty much the only person for whom they weren't (my high school had a very bad chemistry department, though). I haven't taken college physics yet, so I can't say how much the AP does or doesn't help, but you'll have to do two and a half years of chem in college compared to just one-year physics, so a strong chemistry foundation is important.

I took it, and I genuinely enjoyed the class. (during junior year; I'm currently a upcoming senior once school starts) I highly recommend it, but I did have a horrible teacher. She taught the bare basics, and we had to figure concepts, problems, and topics out on our own. But do keep in mind that for my class especially, there were countless C's, B's, and a couple of A's. Depending on the teacher and how the class is set up, you will have to work for your grade. I was one of the few that ended with an A both semesters, but I attribute my success in that class to asking questions whenever you're confused. I do think it gives you an upper hand when compared to other students, esp since ap chem is renown for being difficult. Just keep working hard and make sure to do the homework and I'm sure you'll get a 5 too!! Stay positive :)