Concerned

Shelley Schmiss

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey, I am only a pre-med student at the University of Georgia and my boyfriend goes to Boston College. We have been dating for almost 4 years and plan on getting married in the future. I want to go to medical school and he wants to go to law school. I am so scared of the time commitments of residency and how it will conflict with having a family and stuff. I know I think about the future too much but this is the rest of my life and I don't want to take student loans out and go to medical school if I drop out or never use my degree. Don't get me wrong, I am very serious about my career, but we have been seperated for 2 years and I want to go to school with him. I was wondering if anyone had any advice on medical schools or law schools that are "relationship-friendly" and I wanted a general synopsis of daily residency work. I have heard awful things like you don't have any time. What specialties have shorter residency programs? Is the pay alright? Anyways, thanks in advance for any responses.

Members don't see this ad.

Well that was a lot of questions so I'll try and answer as many as I remember...

1) Shortest residency program is 3 years
2) Pay is usually in the 35K region (but varies a lot based on specialty and locale)
3) Don't freak yourself out too much about what people have said. I know people in medical school who are single, dating, engaged, and married and no group seems like they're less stressed out than any other group.
4) As far as going to law school/med school in the same location, it'll be easier if you're engaged or married since I don't know any school that is more likely to let you in because someone you're dating is nearby (not that I'm saying get married just to go to school together!)

What did you mean by relationship-friendly? More likely to let you in if your SO goes to another school in the University? Less work so you have more time to spend with SO?

Good luck! :luck: