Concerned

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Iamnotme

Membership Revoked
Removed
7+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I wouldn't worry--I don't know how the residency switching plays in, but most PM&R programs wait until the Dean's letter to start sending out invites. I got most of my invites in October/Nov. I don't think I got any invites in Sept, other than for a few prelim programs. Some PM&R programs don't even start sending invites until November.

Like you I also started worrying when I applied because I was watching the interview list (and like you I also didn't apply to any of the "early invite" programs), so I think I added another 10 programs to my application early/mid October. And then interviews really started flooding in at that point for me. So I ended up over-applying, but that's really not such a bad thing anyway--better safe than sorry.

Also, people cancel interviews all the time, so I was still receiving invites through mid-December.

Thanks Rangerbob.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I honestly think you'll be ok. It's anecdotal, but in case it helps at all, I pulled up my "Match spreadsheet" and here was my specific situation:

My first invite to any PM&R program was Oct 2, the day after the Dean's letter was released, with my second invite being about a week later. My last invite was in mid-Dec. Most of my invites came in the last half of Oct/first half of Nov. I applied to a total of 34 programs. I initially applied to 18 programs on Sept 15. On Sept 24 I added four of the "early invite" programs because like you, I read the interview thread and panicked (I really wanted an invite!). I added the other 12 programs up through mid-October, because I still hadn't received that many interviews at that point. Then I started getting more invites than I wanted to go on (I was just aiming for 10 interviews).

Number-wise, I was probably an average PM&R applicant. Since you matched into a competitive specialty, I'm guessing you have higher grades/board scores than me, and I'd be willing to guess you'll do better than I did.

Most of us go a little crazy with the waiting game--just hang in there, have faith, and try your best to have fun and keep on living in the meantime (or working, since you're also a resident). Interview invites will come, but for the most part, not until after the Dean's letter is released. Honestly I wouldn't get concerned/start panicking until closer to mid to late Oct.

I hope you are right.

Last edited:
Ok.

Last edited:
Ok.

Last edited:
Hey lanotme,

You can reapply on eras even being a current pgy2?

I am also wanting to switch specialties but I didn't realize we can beat of the match process again

Yes, you can reapply as a PGY-2.

Last edited:
Hi all,

So I am switching specialties into PMR and applying this cycle. I submitted my app on the 15th at night, but did not have 2 of my letters until about the 18th or so.

I have been carefully following the list of invites. I have not gotten any invites yet and I'm worried!

Given that I did not initially apply to about 4 or so of the programs that gave out invites early like LSU, Nassau, UVA, etc I am getting concerned. My app was not 100% complete with all letters until about the 18th.

I am a US-MD, have good grades, did externships at 2 programs, have a PMR letter, have research and come from a competitive specialty.

Should I worry? I thought that I would be able to get a decent number of interviews but not sure what the problem is. Any thoughts/suggestions?

Just curious:

Why are you leaving Rads for PMR?

thanx

Hey no I am not leaving physical medicine. How did you get a token for eras? Do you have to go back to your medical school?