Completion of observation/volunteer hours?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

texascaroline

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I kind of got a late start on this process. I plan on starting in the summer of 2010 (or fall, depending on which school I choose). I am going to be taking classes and volunteering/observing this summer. I plan on continuing to volunteer and/or find a position as a PT aide in the fall and spring.

My question: When it comes time to apply for the first round of deadlines I will have maybe 90-110 volunteer hours. Will this hurt me? I do plan on continuing to volunteer and will have a lot more hours by the time I start school. Is there any way to indicate this on an application?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I don't think it will hurt you, many schools ask for 30-40 hrs and very few ask for more (from what I found) so 90 to 110 hrs is a good number if you ask me. I will suggest using things like personal statement essays or interviews to let them know you're planning on gainning more exposure.

I kind of got a late start on this process. I plan on starting in the summer of 2010 (or fall, depending on which school I choose). I am going to be taking classes and volunteering/observing this summer. I plan on continuing to volunteer and/or find a position as a PT aide in the fall and spring.

My question: When it comes time to apply for the first round of deadlines I will have maybe 90-110 volunteer hours. Will this hurt me? I do plan on continuing to volunteer and will have a lot more hours by the time I start school. Is there any way to indicate this on an application?

Thanks!

Don't worry about a late start! I just decided on applying to PT school last July, and I started my DPT program yesterday; you will be fine.

On the PTCAS application you enter the dates of your volunteer experience, and you are able to "post-date". I don't know if they frown on this, but it is doable and is practical if you are in a scheduled volunteer position (ex. 3hr/week through Dec, etc). The only problem that you may encounter is that some schools require verification of your hours. It is doubtful that any facility would verify hours that you have yet to complete.

Members don't see this ad :)
I applied with a little over 100 hours and got accepted. As long as you have the minimum required hours, you should be fine.

What would you say is the "minimum" required hours of volunteer work

That depends on which specific school you apply to, but I would say do at least 100 outpatient and 40 inpatient. That should cover you for all the schools.

Some of my schools required at least 100 hours but others required only 40. A few required inpatient and some did not care which setting. I would call each school or look up the info on PTCAS and figure that out.

What would you say is the "minimum" required hours of volunteer work
The minimum required hours varies with each school. For example, some don't require any hours, some require at least 20 hours in 3 different settings, and others require 100 hours total from any setting. So check with the schools you want to apply to so you can make sure you are on the right track.