Complete sentences?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

j99

7+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Are you guys using complete sentences in your descriptions of work and activities? I think I'm going to go with the impersonal phrases like I use in my CV.

Members don't see this ad.

Active phrases. no sentences. easier for the PD's to read.

I used complete sentences. But my mom was an English teacher and it's physically impossible for me not to write in complete sentences. :rolleyes:

I don't think incomplete sentences are any easier to read than complete ones.

Just keep it brief.

I used complete sentences. But my mom was an English teacher and it's physically impossible for me not to write in complete sentences. :rolleyes:

I don't think incomplete sentences are any easier to read than complete ones.

Just keep it brief.

I agree with this. Full sentences just seem more professional, and if written succintly, are probably easier to read than phrases.

How do you keep from using redundant "I"? That's the main reason I don't use complete sentences in my resume, and probably won't in my CAF. The subjet of any of these blurbs is clearly the author... I just find it cumbersome to keep saying "I did this" and "I did that." Or are you guys doing something different to get around that?

I was encouraged to write in complete sentences, kind of. Instead of writing I did this and that you just put something like this.

House Manager
In charge of house operations, volunteer groups, and family safety and comfort.

I got really tired of writing all the Is, this is the best I could come up with and our secretary who helps with ERAS said this was fine.
Good luck, I just submitted today!! yippee!

~h

How do you keep from using redundant "I"? That's the main reason I don't use complete sentences in my resume, and probably won't in my CAF. The subjet of any of these blurbs is clearly the author... I just find it cumbersome to keep saying "I did this" and "I did that." Or are you guys doing something different to get around that?

Just change up the syntax a bit here and there. Sometimes I would start with a description of the organization, like "Doug's House is a small residential AIDS hospice. As a hospice vounteer, I blah blah...."

Or just, "As a middle school science teacher, I taught four classes of 30 students each...."

You don't have to start every sentence with "I". But this is about YOU, and depersonalizing it to me seems kind of fake. I was never a fan of that kind of writing on resumes, but maybe that's what is "done"...

Remember, this is your shot, along with the PS, for showing that you are literate and can actually form complete sentences. You would be surprised at how far this goes in your favor....

I used short phrases. Remember, this isn't an essay nor is this your PS.